Ford Mustang Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Well had a few minutes last night, so pulled the interior panels out, headliner, and started on dash removal. Also started raining so fired up the sand blaster for first time to give a try and it works so damn good, why did I wait so long to get one! Way more to come! Still plan on going to track ASAP just may not have interior completely done and back together! New solenoid for the starter arrived and should be last piece to driving more often! Gauges were not working due to bad grounds so resolving that issue as well, plan is to blast all area's I need to weld first, then weld the roll cage plates to the floor, and the remaining torque box area's then clean and etch prime. After that I'm game to hit the track.

I think I added that I picked up the old style, but new lower control arms https://southsidemachine.com/product/1979-2004-ford-mustang-rear-lower-control-arms/, will be throwing those in as well before I head to the track. Thinking the current brakes will do as no funds for the 5 lug wheels I need in order to complete my cobra 5 lug swap, have decided after alot of pondering will be ordering new master, and the MM manual brake swap setup with pedal as well. Just do it one time and be done with brakes! Have the rear 28 spline axles - for now, the front and rear cobras, the line lock, the stainless lines, just need e brake cables, some ends for my hard brake lines, the master and some 5 lug wheels to go through with it.

Can't just look past the rust, holes, and non-attached roll cage before I hit the track again. Gauges led me to move the carpet and glad they did at this point. Will also put another few tack welds on the exhaust but will trim it to sit perfectly I get the rear wheel setup on the 5 lugs, no need to put time into it until i settle rear tire size.

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Couple of updates:

Have put welding off and resolving some of the sheet metal issues as getting a good Mig setup for Christmas!!!!! Will be running .023 wire and 75/25 so less burn through and less cleanup for sheet metal work..
Sheet metal is cut to measurements - just will tack weld in and will wait till after Christmas to completely weld in
New Seat is in and mounted - 5 point harness is in and mounted

Car is too low in the rear now - the Southside lowers/lift bars REALLY lowered the rear- so have to put the springs spacers back in, or cut the stock springs that I have. In all honesty, the only reason I haven't hit track yet is having to lock the pinion angle in with the rear lift bars, also have to mount the speedo stuff somehow now that dash is out.
We are getting very close to track, honestly after this Thanksgiving weekend I think it will be ready for a next Wednesday night test and tune! Will be driving it to work next week to ensure, everything is tight and driveability is good.

Have connector for my wideband to computer arriving today as well so will be able to dial in the jet size using that as expecting to have to make some changes in the upper rpms, I will say the extensive starter rebuild I did helped, car has never cranked so easy! Also fixed a few grounding issues and man it's running best ever currently!!!! Excited to see some Data logs on the Air Fuel would be nice to know RPM's but will go with what I have and overlay it with some video's that I will be taking so hope that will be enough. I have done nothing to jets as of yet, just Air Idle mixture, and used vaccum to set taht up. Also the linkages are all tightened up. So thinking Power valve changes, jet changes at minimum will be coming after some track time, know I will be faster than the last time out, but if I see a lean condition I will let out and learn so can change and run safely!!!

One huge discovery I made was that currently my return line is NOT hooked up.... So I may utilize the 6AN feed line I have currently as my return line but obviously reroute into the tank, and use the 8AN feed line I have yet to install which will save me some work! That explains why the pump is so damn loud at idle though!

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Man, alot of time in the car recently as getting so close can taste it, ok maybe that's rust and metal shavings from putting the spherical bushings in this weekend...

A few weeks ago - got the southsides all tacked in and with the dual bolts through to set the pinion angle. Also put the top and bottom spring insulators in Poly and the rear sits pretty much perfect now! Decided that before I offically locked in the rear uppers I needed to have it finalized, so took the time this weekend to install the Spherical bushings up top - drivers side came out and went in FAST, then my Air hammer broke... Passenger side took me around an hour but it's all in. Will lock in pinion angle with the upper double adjustable's and call it done.

Took the fan shroud and reverse running e-fan off the FRONT of the the radiator, attempted to mount fan and shroud on proper side with proper fan rotation but aluminum shroud would not fit with the 3 core and electric water pump. So I threw the fan on directly, I have another fan and between the two will cover the back side completely. I also have the temp controller that can control both fans. May throw duals on with no shroud. In modifying the shroud I broke it as well:(

I ordered a proper Bypass FPR - just a Holley 12-887 IIRC but it won't arrive till Christmas week. Ordered up the remaining AN fittings I needed to install the 8an PTFE hose (mainly the 3x3/8 NPT for the new FPR) that I have and will run Fuel delivery up passenger side, and return as well more than likely, unsure if going with the existing 6an hard line and mixture or not but will decided once have it all in front of me.

Started on the Dash - made center dash and center console taking several hours, then proved what I already knew, you can not weld thin sheet with stick - my Flux is broken. So will use what I already bent and braze center section - also decided the first go was too elaborate, so just going straight down, will add in the console part later.

Have pipe to make some turndowns to throw on rear of the mufflers, mainly just waiting till after Christmas for some of the welding items as I will have a new mig setup shortly after!!!! Once I have that will more than likely put some v-bands I have in, finish welding the seams in torque boxes and battle box stuff, as well as all of the metal patching - already taken the time and cut the metal to fill all the holes in entire floorpan, and weld the base plates in fully for the cage:)

Oh, forgot I sealed and installed the SVO taillights - the LX tails were just not working - will take down, clean up and more than likely seal and sell them.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Oh yeah, I picked up some 1999 35th Anniversary Edition 17x8's for 60 bucks - ALL 4!!!!! The wheels are in phenomenal shape and I have been watching for a set of these, was expecting to pay 4-500 so love this, guy was a Drifter and had a 240sx! Throwing pic on here if you don't know which ones they are
Also decided as I'm a 1 and done guy when I do the 5 lug swap - Have everything now except the master cylinder - I will be going full manual swap on the Cobra brakes
So need to run all new lines up front and going with the JEGS manual setup - has the Strange 1 1/8th dual master - will add the MM pedal is required or modify my stock pedal.

The tires are crap, and will do the 5 lug, Cobra brakes, and all the brake stuff at the same time. so until I save pennies for tires won't be doing 5 lug swap.

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Oh yeah - tailpipes had to come off - at least for now - the were hitting the fuel lines as well as the distribution block on top of the rear axle for brakes. May try one last time to get them to fit after i run the fuel lines and brakes - but may be selling them and running dumps. Like I said, alot of time on the car recently, can't keep up with all I have gotten done!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Lots done since last update:
Fuel system has come out - started lines but waiting on 2 8an ends for my filter setup that they did not send, then will have feed line, new regulator, and return to plumb up, just have to put in place. Including a pic of the filter that was in the car, had not removed due to being above the tank...

Picked up the new welder - just went with Eastwood 135 and expected to be underwhelmed but holy ****, love this thing! Ran through my 1 lb spool of wire and about half my 80 tank fast. have a 10lb spool of 023 arriving today:)

Modified and put the 3" tailpipes back in - will tinker a bit more, but it's in place and "almost" perfect.

The torque box re-enforcement are all welded:) Want to stitch weld the boxes underneath but not super high on priority list at this time. All are sealed as well.

Passenger floorpan and roll cage welded in and patched properly. Drivers side only needs some stitch welding on the floorpan, firewall is completely done.

All trim was removed, sanded, prepped and painted with SEM black. Looks amazing was a chore but done. The rear window is obviously not in place, but will remove the window, cut out the rust and patch it up Very soon!

After the rear window is patched and put in place, will then prep all of the firewall, floor pan, rear seat area, and roof then put the 80 and 50mm Butyl sound deadener on it. I don't mind adding 20 lbs of deadener to the car as in the beginning this will primarily be a to and from 1/4 mile car, eventually it will be a daily driver and more than likely IRS, coilovers, MM front k and arms and 6 speed manual. I'm moving from Florida to Tennessee and the usage will change once that happens, and not initially not until i blow this engine etc.

Picked up my 5 lug wheels, selling the 35 th anniversary wheels I bought and will be big and littles again:) Oh picked up dual fuel filters forgot about that, hence the fuel system waiting for the an fittings.

Welded up the lower arms as well, it's getting closer, but my OCD keeps finding other stuff however the list is shorter, decided to hold off on the metal dash, the full interior will be going back in, already fixed the doors and windows while had it apart, need to mess with the passenger side again as there is still a little slop when rolling up and down. Anyway here are some random pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
More progress pics

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
While waiting for the wire I started on the fuel system to finalize, after going back and forth finally decided the route, went ahead and purchased a few more 8AN fittings and 12 more feet of PTFE. So it will be 8AN feed and return, blocking off one side of the rear sump, and using an 8AN bulkhead fitting for return to the top of the tank. While at it purchased a new fuel log for the Carb and pulling it off and cleaning it all tonight, no jets purchased yet, but will be on it soon!

After Alot of research I decided to go with the "newer" thought process for the Fuel Pressure regulator, I'm attaching my pic of my fuel system diagram but I'm running the FPR and return After the fuel log and After the carb. Plan is to get the tank dropped, all lines removed, carb removed, and run the lines tonight.

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Some tinker time on ole' girl this weekend! The 180 would not work as it hit on the fuel log/rail I'm using so it's not permanent, but will be a vast improvement over what I had!

So, I added return 8an bulkhead fitting at high point in tank, capped one of the rear sump holes, built 8an lines, modified tank cover to hold the first filter and fuel pump, then ran feed line to FPR and mounted all the way through. Setup the Fuel Pressure Regulator, fuel rail, and started the return line. Did not get to complete the return but it is off the regulator, out of the engine bay and out of the wheel well. Only ONE more AN fitting and then hook up to the return on the tank. Tighten everything, power up pump and set pressure while checking all fittings! Also finished up all of the firewall and floorboard welds/repair! Should be cleanup, put some sound deadener in, run the new grounds and power distro on firewall, put dash and carpet back in! Getting CLOSE! Kim came out after midnight last night and asked me to stop so could close the garage, I thought it was like 9 pm!

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Alto done, forgot to update - will get on and add some stuff here in the next day or so! She runs GREAT!, After I got the 8an lines and the Dual 8an feed directly to the carb, floats kept sticking open. SOO, I rebuilt the carb, put back on and Damn it same thing. So despite what my buddies were saying I thought it was the 8an feeds proving too much volume - had the issue all the way down to 3 psi. I took the beautiful 8an feed off and put the Holley feeds back on and set to 6.5 psi, Fired up immediately! Seam sealed the interior and all the welds, will be vaccuming and cleaning it all out then doing the sound deadening. Decided to gut the stock dash as well and put it back in with some modifications. All that will be happening in the next few evenings I hope!

My birthday is this month, and thinking of asking for a kirkey seat for the drivers seat, and will move the procar seat to the passenger side, main reason is I want to be able to bolt the drivers seat to the roll bar as we are supposed to!

Have a vaccum quick change kit to go in and can't wait to start logging the vaccum and air fuel so can really dial her in! Getting close boys:)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Well couldnt take it, rear window is out, stripped, all rust removed, prepped and primed. Now have to weld some stuff in and will use fiberglass some as well and stay away from bondo in there. May go to a paint shop and get a couple of cans matched and a good 2 stage clear but know I'm getting the whole car blasted when I get to my next house, and a repaint. Also discovered the original car color certain oy looks like a Bimini blue and damn mice, will probably go back to that color.

Anyway, its prepped and primed, when I rebuilt the carb saw a Pink spring in the 850 VS so ordererd a quick change kit and now have a yellow spring to try and tune it out. Will be focusing on jetting, and power valves as they remain unchanged = Front 78 jet and 6.5 PV, Rear = 82 jet and 4.5 PV. Will add more on a bit, have to run for now

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Well couldnt take it, rear window is out, stripped, all rust removed, prepped and primed. Now have to weld some stuff in and will use fiberglass some as well and stay away from bondo in there. May go to a paint shop and get a couple of cans matched and a good 2 stage clear but know I'm getting the whole car blasted when I get to my next house, and a repaint. Also discovered the original car color certain oy looks like a Bimini blue and damn mice, will probably go back to that color.

Anyway, its prepped and primed, when I rebuilt the carb saw a Pink spring in the 850 VS so ordererd a quick change kit and now have a yellow spring to try and tune it out. Will be focusing on jetting, and power valves as they remain unchanged = Front 78 jet and 6.5 PV, Rear = 82 jet and 4.5 PV. Will add more on a bit, have to run for now

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Update's coming - but loving this Coronavirus work from home **** - but pushed too much last week and wife si on me to do more stuff for her and the kids during my "work" time. But For those that are too cheap to pay for the assembled SN95/Cobra Brakes onto a Foxbody - here are the Actual part numbers you need to adapt the lines:)

Rear x 2:
American Grease Stick Adapter Fitting
Part # BLF22B Line AGS

Front x 1:
American Grease Stick Adapter Fitting
Part # BLF23B Line AGS

Have to go into work tomorrow, but the rear is all done - however noticed the rear diff is leaking a bit... I used gasket maker not RTV, may drain and put back in with RTV instead of the Permatex Fuel safe gasket maker - I don't think I got it thick enough - but it's the UPR rear cover:) More coming soon!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I really dig the look on your blue four eye...going to have to read through the rest of the thread now. :D

Also noticed the newer Si in the driveway. I've heard good things about those.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Thanks man - the look has changed a bit in the last few weeks - and hope to get the front spindles, brakes, calipers, delete the booster and put the new delete and master cylinder in place tonight. I then will have to measure to see if the spacers i have will allow me to run the 15" wheels over the already modified cobra calipers and brakes - don't think it will so will measure and order - then attempt to trade my 15" darkstars for some 17" front runners to clear the brakes. I'll add some pics in a bit:) But happy with the progress and should have the rear completed just waiting on modifying ebrake cables and the total system bleed for sure by the end of the night:)

Tomorrow I should get some wrench time in if I don't get it done tonight though:) Not looking forward to bending and flaring all the lines for the new master, Line lock, etc but looking forward to the end product!!!

Oh the Si I bought new in 2017 when I was commuting over 100 a day - prior to getting back in a stang did downpipe, tune, suspension, and ran mid 13's consistent. Has plenty more in it but once i picked up stang I sold the tuner and the downpipe. Love the car 60k on it now - it will be going by May hopefully to pick u a 4 door 4wd truck with the ability to tow the stang occasionally. Moving up to Southern Tennessee or Northern Georgia by the end of the year, and will tow the car up - and occasionaly to some of the tracks for events as it gets dialed in. I off-road alot so having issues with the desire for a mid-size, but the needs of a full size:)

41 - 55 of 55 Posts