Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for checking this thread out and I would appreciate any help or ideas you all may have.

I have a 93GT and finally am getting my B&G kit in. I have the QA1 K member and am using Energy Suspension mounts. It is the hotside I am having the fit with. I can install the passenger side header but it is close to the frame and I have about 1/4 to 1/2 inch between frame rail and turbo flange. I would think it should be a bit more but I don't know. Now on the driver side no way its fitting at all. I can get the header in position but there is a good 1 inch gap at the last exhaust tube before it meets the head. Now I have read that the sway bar mount needs to be notched but from eye balling it I would have to cut allot of it off.

I have read about notching the frame and other stuff but I was thinking about using some 3/4 or 1 inch spacers to lift the motor and try and get a bit of clearance.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas please send them my way, and if you have any pics that is all the better.

Thanks again,
Eric

·
Registered
119 Posts
If I remember correctly the QA1 k member shifts the engine back a bit which may be why your having trouble. I would say try to spacers first then try the notching second.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
549 Posts
tubular k members are cheap and not too difficult to put in. if thats your problem i'd just order a diff k member and swap them out personally. no point in hacking up a nice turbo kit

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the input. I will grab some pics and show you what Im dealing with. I really don't want to swap K members again if I can help it. I thought for sure someone has put in a turbo kit with a QA1 member.

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hmm I didn't have any problems with my qa1 when I had my 89 coupe! There should be two slots in the kmember to move the motor back and forth. I thought I might of had problems with the turbo flange but it went away when I officially set the transmission in the crossmember.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im using the rear notch for the motor mounts if that matters. It just seems the motor is too low and I did notice that the motor was closer to the rack then when I had the factor member in. Here are some pics of what I am dealing with right now. I also think I might have an issue with the fuel line too right now the fuel pressure sender is all kinds of in the way, but I was using it when I was running a Novi setup so I might have do eliminate it or change it up.

Thanks,
Eric

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
I have the same k-member and the same kit. My mounts are in the front slot, it fits no problem. You need to move it.

The pinch rail is going to be tight under the turbo but it will fit. Loosen the trans up and motor mounts up. You can use a pry bar to shift the motor slightly. A small amount of movement in the mount area will move that header significantly.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
What is that bung by the turbo?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mcj50 thank you for that bit of information. I moved the motor to the first notch and you were right it made a ton of room. Still hits the sway bar mount but I knew I would have to clearance that. I still might do a small 1/2 inch spacer as I know the motor is lower than the stock setup by allot.

The bung is for EGT sensor. I wanted to know what the temp was before the turbo. In the downpipe I have two O2 bungs and a wideband bung welded in.

What do you all think about wrapping the pipes. I wrapped the downpipe only but the entire hotside is Jethot 2000 coated.

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also if you have any pics I would love to see them. I have an older hotside. It has the wastegate on the top of the downpipe. I hate to say this but I bought it in 07 and now just getting around to installing it all, had allot of things happen over the years.

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is the entire hotside I have.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Wrapping the headers is discouraged, can cause cracking. I have my downpipe and cross over wrapped, and a blanket on exhaust housing.

Don't get discouraged, be persistent, it will come together.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts

Modified with gt91

Current setup with gt5088, just the hotside is still B&G.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks really good brother. I will finish it for sure, I still need a cold side and was thinking about calling B&G and seeing about getting just that. You wouldn't happen to have the coldside from your stockish kit would you?

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also what all did you have to cut and how much did you have to cut to make it fit?

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
Looks really good brother. I will finish it for sure, I still need a cold side and was thinking about calling B&G and seeing about getting just that. You wouldn't happen to have the coldside from your stockish kit would you?

Thanks,
Eric
No, sold it.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks anyways, I appreciate the reply.

Eric

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I tried to use a spacer to get it all to fit but had troubles with the downpipe so I ended up cutting the driver side sway bar mount. Not allot but still had to trim it. Still have no idea how to get the down pipe in there with the header in place. I'm going to have to install downpipe and then bolt header up. It's going to be a pain for sure.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts