Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a patient person. I've waited six months for this dash bezel. I just got it today, and it's missing the damn aluminum bracket that holds it to the dash. To add to that I ordered an EGT, but I guess it doesn't come with the freakin probe. I guess I'll have to wait more.:livid:

BTW, I do alot of mail order/internet shopping. This is the first time I've ever had a problem with Summit/Autometer.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I hope you have better luck with yours than I did. I have talked to lots of people and they all say that theirs, just like mine does not fit worth a crap around the light switch. We all had to file it out on one side making the hole out of round just to get it to fit. GoodLuck!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
S*** man, I don't need to hear that. I'm going to run outside right now and test fit it.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I feel you. I waited forever for that also. I now have a Lotek on order.

Question for you.

Your EGT gauge. Are you going to take your headers out to insert the probe? I want to get this gauge, however I don't see how to insert the EGT probe with out removal.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The gauge I bought didn't come with a probe. When I do get the probe it's going to be mounted on the header 2" away from the flange. I don't think I need to take the header off for the install. I hope not :mad: . I know it's going to be a tight fit. We'll see in a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I though the probe goes 2in from the Head? If it's on the on the flange it will make it a little easier.

·
Registered
229 Posts
willrace4food said:
I'm a patient person. I've waited six months for this dash bezel. I just got it today, and it's missing the damn aluminum bracket that holds it to the dash. To add to that I ordered an EGT, but I guess it doesn't come with the freakin probe. I guess I'll have to wait more.:livid:

BTW, I do alot of mail order/internet shopping. This is the first time I've ever had a problem with Summit/Autometer.
I'm not sure about the '99+ applications, but I didn't use the brackets that came with mine and it fits plenty tight. I can look for them and if I still have them (but it's been over a year and my garage aint the most organized;)), you're more than welcome to them. LMK...

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
willrace4food, if you find a good way to get the EGT probe please let me know (or help) me get mine on the same place. I looked down at the #8 cylnder but damn its discouraging!

I also feal you pain with Autometers horrible response time. I have been waiting for 2 of thier new gauges for over 3 months now and every week I check Sumitt the dates keep getting pushed back. BASTARDS!

I do have to say though, their responce time on getting 2 of my gauges fixed was amazing.

Eric

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I didn't have to use my bracket, and yes, I had to file out the headlight switch also. Quality on the bezel leaves something to be desired!!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Well, I just got mine in yesterday (ordered 2/05/02) and I agree the fitment leaves a little to be desired. After swapping the rubber steering column surround to the new piece, gluing some rubber stripping to shrink the visible area around the defrost button, filing all the studs off of the gauges to get them to mount flush, ITS ALMOST RIGHT.

I can't quite get the left side gauge to sit flush. I don't know if the remainder of the inside bolt is interfering or if it is the light. If its the bolt, I'll take off some more, if its the light I'm S.O.L.

In Autometer's defense, it costs roughly 40-60 grand to get a shop to set up a decent mold for injection molding plastic pieces. The last thing you want to do its to try to match OEM specs and then get a bad batch and have them all returned. As such it looks like they opened up the tolerances and trust the consumer to tweak it right.

I did not have a nut installed on the right side bracket that came with mine, however, and I am currently waiting for the JB Weld to dry on the nut that I am gluing on there....

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, I didn't think it would be that bad of an issue. I guess I have a bit of tweaking to do. I thought about not using the little aluminum pieces, there are two small screw holes though. :(

Stedda, I'll keep you posted on the EGT install. I have order the probe. Stupid me didn't think to look at what gauge I was getting. I thought I was getting the whole kit. I think I'm going to attack it from under the car (duh).

jeostang, the flange to the heads isn't that thick. So two inches from the flange is the spot.

·
Registered
86 Posts
[
In Autometer's defense, it costs roughly 40-60 grand to get a shop to set up a decent mold for injection molding plastic pieces. The last thing you want to do its to try to match OEM specs and then get a bad batch and have them all returned. As such it looks like they opened up the tolerances and trust the consumer to tweak it right.

Funny, I don't use that excuse on my parts.... they fit *right* or I won't sell them. Just poor part on Autometer's end.

Mike

·
Registered
570 Posts
jeostang said:
I feel you. I waited forever for that also. I now have a Lotek on order.
Lotek makes the dual pod dash bezel thing too? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Mike, do you have a dual gauge dash bezel? If you do lets talk. I'll ship this thing right back if you can get me something that is better quality?

·
Registered
86 Posts
willrace4food said:
Hey Mike, do you have a dual gauge dash bezel? If you do lets talk. I'll ship this thing right back if you can get me something that is better quality?
No, I went for the full dash panel replacement part.... mine replaces the entire gauge cluster. You (or I) cut it for aftermarket gauges.

Just never could see "going half way". :D

Mike

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mike, about replacing the gauges. As I understand it, doesn't my car (2k) NEED the stock dash to stay connected to the computer? I was talking to another guy on here who already had done the swap to all Autometer. He had a 98 though. It's a sweet setup. He has LED's for things like low gas/water/oil/turn signal, etc etc. I like it, but he told me that I really can't do it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
He is right... untill you want to "void your warranty" in a BIG way, you can't do it. :D Seriously, my panels are for HIGHLY modified cars, like Heartbreaker, or race cars/off road vehicles with extensive changes in the computer, wiring and ignition system.

Autometer's stuff just "piggybacks" on the stock cluster, keeping the computer nice and happy.

Mike

·
Registered
370 Posts
Mike, I have a 97 Cobra and wanted to install an all Autometer gauge set. Would I be able to use your bezel & still keep all of my warning lights, including the check engine light?

·
Registered
86 Posts
greensnake97 said:
Mike, I have a 97 Cobra and wanted to install an all Autometer gauge set. Would I be able to use your bezel & still keep all of my warning lights, including the check engine light?
Yes, it will work like that... you have to either cut the panel to fit the warning light cluster, or re-wire in aftermarket 12v lamps (I use Radio Shack) like we use for the turn signal indicators, high beam indicator, etc.

Mike

1 - 20 of 24 Posts