Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have been thinking. Is there an advantage to run higher rear spring rates and NO rear swaybar?

I know it provides rear roll stiffness. Could that be provided by stiffer rear springs? It would seem that you might be able to get more grip that way...

Thanks

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Trial and error. Depends on your driving style, course layout, surface grip, ect. It's an easy change to do between back to back runs and it's free.

·
Registered
739 Posts
You need a LOT of spring rate to get the roll stiffness to make up for a lack of a rear bar. And then, you basically don't have much suspension left since you've turned the car into a go-kart. ;)

I'm not a fan of mongo-size rear bars, at all especially on a high powered RWD car. I'm also not a fan of the dynamics of huge rear springs either. I think the trick is in balance and running moderate rates on each... and a good limited slip. If you can't get power down and don't have an upgraded LSD all the trickery in the world won't really matter. :)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
So, I have been thinking. Is there an advantage to run higher rear spring rates and NO rear swaybar?

I know it provides rear roll stiffness. Could that be provided by stiffer rear springs? It would seem that you might be able to get more grip that way...

Thanks
You said "I have been thinking".That sir is the problem.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I run no rear bar at Infineon which is a tight track. I have a slight push that is not noticeable for about five laps but gets progressively worse as the session goes on. So my setup is close but not perfect. I run 450lb fronts and 350lb rears. I may try something off the wall next year after a lengthy discussion I just had with a multi national champion auto-xer and roundy round racer. Big front bar smaller front spring and big spring no bar in the back. He is just starting to try this and having excellent results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts