Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my current setup, I am running 4" intercooler piping (approximately 18ft). The car is slow to come up on boost at the line while on the transbrake. If I move the inter cooler from the back set to the passenger floor near the dash removing nearly 8ft of piping, would I need a retune?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't have any experience with 4" boost pipe, but I suspect you won't need a tune, nor will you reduce lag.

A turbo flows so much air volume, filling 8' of 4" pipe happens almost instantly, but maybe you know that so not trying to get ot, sorry man.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While I understand what ur trying to say, I'm trying to figure out if velocity is an issue at this point.

·
Registered
408 Posts
What size a/r is the exhaust, because with a 408 it should spool almost anything instantly.Are you using a 2 step to transition to the transbrake?Post more info on combo and what your doing to stage.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Car is tuned with a accell thruster system. And have a msd7531 box as well. I foot brake car as high as will go to just push car , bump into the beams and go on the transbrake.
A/r is already a 1.0

·
Registered
45 Posts
You won't need to retune it. It may come in to boost slightly quicker with less piping but I don't think it will really make you satisfied with how quick it builds boost. I agree that you probably need a smaller A/R.

Do you log turbo backpressure? And what is the diameter of your headers and crossover piping?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not logging back pressure as It really shouldn't be an issue on my car. It a 5" downpipe comi g off turbo dumped in front of front tire. Headers are 1 3/4" and crossover is 2 1/2"... theoretically this car should spool on accident with this small housing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree that it sounds like it should spool on accident
The downpipe size and restriction after the turbo isn’t the biggest contributor to turbo backpressure, it’s the turbo flange/turbine housing size in relation to how much exhaust volume your cubic inch motor makes. One of the points of monitoring turbo back pressure is to help find the right A/R housing you’re your combo and boost pressure. For example if you have much less than 1:1 turbo back pressure to boost ratio your housing isn’t as “small” as you think it is. Optimum is a 1:1 ratio, but my 347 made 830 hp to the tires at 15 psi through a 78 mm t4 flange turbo at 2:1 back pressure to boost ratio, but spooled instantly. Obviously your combo is very different, but the point I’m making is that you need data to make decisions with cars, the norm doesn’t always fit every combo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts