Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ATI's belt walk? I was at my local speed shop the other day and asking about blowers. I had said that the ATI was the blower I was probably going to go with. The gentlemen behind the counter recommended the Vortech, saying that the ATI kit has a problem where is will flex a small amount on the bracket and cause the car to throw a belt. He claims they called ATI and ATI said that the solution was to purchase there Renegade bracket kit, but you would loose your Air Conditioning. If you didn't want to do that then you would have to install Solid Motor mounts and install a strap to the shock tower, that would solve the problems. Is this a issue

·
Registered
95 Posts
We are a procharger distributor, and we sell & install a ton of kits.
the problem this dealer is telling u about we have never encountered.Also being a dist. I can sell u the kit cheaper than anyone else. We also dist Paxton. Call @ 404-366-3037
or visit our websight at www.no-limitmotorsports.com

·
Registered
505 Posts
here is the problem......

The 4.6 blower brackets cannot flex because, the force that the belt puts on the blower pulley is toward the engine. What the "hot shot" was referring to was related to a 5.0. The brackets did flex on them, in which the blower was pulled away from the engine. A friend of mine made a measuring jig and actually measured .75" of flex! He was using a p600.

Tim

·
Registered
256 Posts
97GT FREAK said:
here is the problem......

The 4.6 blower brackets cannot flex because, the force that the belt puts on the blower pulley is toward the engine. What the "hot shot" was referring to was related to a 5.0. The brackets did flex on them, in which the blower was pulled away from the engine. A friend of mine made a measuring jig and actually measured .75" of flex! He was using a p600.

Tim
Yeah, that guy is a dolt. The Bracket flex was on the 5.0s not the 4.6's. You could probably tow the car with a 4.6 bracket and not harm it(it's sarcasm)

·
Registered
62 Posts
One thing to check for sure is the tensioner itself and the belt length.

I know if its a hair too long it will gather and bunch up under decelleration, this is usually caused by the magnetic field generated by the alternator and when you decellerate the field is so strong that it will actually "stop" the alternator in its tracks for a second or two and it will bunch up, gather and fly off, and most of the time it takes out your tensioner as well.

Ford now makes factory (Lincoln LS8 and Marauder) a one-way clutched alternator pulley which I highly reccomend on any blower application anyway.

Its alot less stress on your belt and alternator.

Also get yourself a Goodyear Gatorback belt, simply the best. It has a traction compound in its rubber thats equivilant to a set of Eagle slicks!! No slip there for sure.

Also (this is what I think it is) the alignment is obviously critical, check, check and recheck!

I hope this helps, Geno.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts