Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is better is the ati better becuase it has the intercooler and would it be better to get it instead just becuase of that and will the ati work good with only 8 lb . any halp would be appreciated

·
Registered
32 Posts
If I were you I would go with the ATI kit. Seeing that you live in warm conditions, the intercooler will help some in bringing the air inlet temperatures down. This will increase horsepower and help avoid detonation. And if you are in the market for one I know of a few places that have pretty good deals on kits right now.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where

i was wondering if u could tell me some of those places that have the good deals. if i went with the ati would i be able to make 365hp at the wheels like i pretty sure i would be able to with the vortech or would it be less. the heat factor i was woried about to i was thinking that i should go with ati just for that fact but i was hearing that they trow belts alot. do u know anything about that?

·
Administrator
1,464 Posts
OK, here's my take on this.

I didn't really know what the difference between the two blowers was with regards to qualtity/fit/finish until a little while ago. I'll start this by saying that ATI makes a very nice compressor and very nice intercooler.

If you put an ATI kit next to a Vortech kit though, the difference in build quality is staggering. With the ATI kit when they need a 90 degree bend, it looks like someone there went to a plumbing store, got the biggest 90 deg. rubber hose they could find, and then hacked it to fit with a razor blade. You can see on the edges of their hoses where someone literally trimmed the hose with a razor. When Vortech needs a 90 deg. bend they have one made from blow molded plastic.

Vortech uses the good aircraft quality silicone hose, with the red inside and the blue outside. ATI uses what appears to be plain old rubber.

ATI's bypass valve consists of a custom-made 1.5" metal tube with a flapper door that is actuated by an old carburetor choke mechanism. Vortech uses a variety of different Bosch OEM quality bypass valves.

I have shown several people an ATI car next to a Vortech car and they were astounded at the difference in quality/fit/finish.

Now, the ATI car may make more power than a Vortech car. Slap on an aftercooler though, and I'm sure the Vortech car will come out ahead.

If ATI would invest the same amount of money into their fittings as Vortech does, then ATI would be hands down a nicer kit.

If minor fit/finish issues don't bother you then the ATI kit may be the way to go.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Agreed!!! The vortech is damn efficient too. At 8psi you won't make enough heat to be a real problem.

Now for the tricky part. With ANY cooled blower, you really need a custom tune with a screw in IAT sensor in the blower outlet (after the cooler). Then you can adjust timing based on discharge temps. I can run 4-6 degrees more timing with the water running through my aftercooler than I can with the pump shut off. Temps vary by as much as 100 degress!!!

David

·
Registered
965 Posts
I just bought a bullit intake and have another question... how do you compare money wise the two superchargers???

I read that you have to buy Inyectors/MAF/Fuel pump with the Procharger.. right?? How much is that ? 300+150+250+labor??

And with the Vortech it's all included?? well.. .if you buy the intercooler it's about $4k??

·
Registered
290 Posts
the por charger kit has everything except injectors. at
jadeperformance.com its only $3250.00 for the p1sc and a three core intercooler. add $400 for 42#'ers and its 3650.00. you cant do that with the vortech kit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Christopher Ihara said:
OK, here's my take on this.

I didn't really know what the difference between the two blowers was with regards to qualtity/fit/finish until a little while ago. I'll start this by saying that ATI makes a very nice compressor and very nice intercooler.

If you put an ATI kit next to a Vortech kit though, the difference in build quality is staggering. With the ATI kit when they need a 90 degree bend, it looks like someone there went to a plumbing store, got the biggest 90 deg. rubber hose they could find, and then hacked it to fit with a razor blade. You can see on the edges of their hoses where someone literally trimmed the hose with a razor. When Vortech needs a 90 deg. bend they have one made from blow molded plastic.

Vortech uses the good aircraft quality silicone hose, with the red inside and the blue outside. ATI uses what appears to be plain old rubber.

ATI's bypass valve consists of a custom-made 1.5" metal tube with a flapper door that is actuated by an old carburetor choke mechanism. Vortech uses a variety of different Bosch OEM quality bypass valves.

I have shown several people an ATI car next to a Vortech car and they were astounded at the difference in quality/fit/finish.

Now, the ATI car may make more power than a Vortech car. Slap on an aftercooler though, and I'm sure the Vortech car will come out ahead.

If ATI would invest the same amount of money into their fittings as Vortech does, then ATI would be hands down a nicer kit.

If minor fit/finish issues don't bother you then the ATI kit may be the way to go.
You are right about the poorly trimmed rubber hoses and some other odds and ends. However, I have read of people having considerable problems with the supplied Vortech by-pass when moving up to even 12psi of boost and an IC...my ATI bypass has never caused any problems. In a year and 12k miles of use, my ATI has never blown a hose (they appear to be better than just cheap rubber) and my blower has never thrown a belt. Also, I'm not so sure about an aftercooled Vortech making more power than an IC Procharger. They are probably pretty even, but I think the ATI has more potential because you can get more boost from it on a 6-rib pulley (better step-up) before it slips (from what I have read.) Not slamming Vortech, they make great blowers, but I think ATI has a little bit of an edge...just a little :D.

My biggest complaints...poor tech support and my head unit sweats oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts