Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1995 Mustang 5.0
62-1 turbo B&G kit hotside
Turbo on the pasanger side ( the side that keeps blowing)
Headers resurfaced

turbo owners only reply with turbos on the passanger side

I continue to blow header gasket (passanger side only, the side the turbo hangs on). I swapped to another turbo hotside think the other was just junk now using a B& G hotside

resurfaced Header flange
Using the good Remflex gasket
AND
Stage 8 locking bolts

Although, I did notice this time the side that Blew the Locking clip fell off and the bolt was loose......

This time I was thinking of doing the Percy's Locking bolts, percy's gasket, copper RTV on the threads
and bracing the header somehow I dont know...

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I got tired of blowing header gaskets on my turbo car and ordered a set of ARP header studs. Get the upgraded 12pt nuts and you can tighten the #### out of them without worrying about stripping the threads. I am no longer using a header gasket, only copper rtv.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Ultra Copper RTV and bolts here.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Arp hearder studs or bolts? With the BnG kit primaries are really close, are you able to get the nuts on? Wow, everyone is using copper rtv!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Arp hearder studs or bolts? With the BnG kit primaries are really close, are you able to get the nuts on? Wow, everyone is using copper rtv!
ARP sells 2 different head stud kits. 1 comes with standard nuts, the more expensive comes with 12pt nuts. The standard nuts would not fit. I had to end up buying the 12pt nuts.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, good info. I only need 8 for the passanger side. so these tighten down really good and dont back out? im serching where to buy these now, I can only find bolts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
damn wish they only sold 8! so, did you use locking washers behind these? Did they back out give me details...

Im super sketchy at this point, blowing gasket 3 times, ( may have been a warped surface) now got a whole new b&G kit I spent money to have it resurfaced, spent money on the remflex gaskets AND Stage 8 bolts wich obiously the clip fell out.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I run the ARP header bolts with Copper RTV with no problems. As stated above if the bolt backs out you will lose the gasket everytime.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah, with the stage 8's I have I installed them, drove the car around for a little bit, then Retighttened them and they have been fine for a while, then suddely BAM bad leak :-( #1 cyl and #8 cyl were both loose... and supposdily the Remflex gasket your not required to re torque the bolts but I did anyway.

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
I have remflex gaskets now and have had zero issues.

RTV had worked for me also, but the remflex are close to bullet proof.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
damn wish they only sold 8! so, did you use locking washers behind these? Did they back out give me details...

Im super sketchy at this point, blowing gasket 3 times, ( may have been a warped surface) now got a whole new b&G kit I spent money to have it resurfaced, spent money on the remflex gaskets AND Stage 8 bolts wich obiously the clip fell out.
I love the header studs with the turbo kit. It makes installing the passenger side header with the turbo attached a 1 man operation. I apply the rtv then put the header on the header bolts and push it towards the head until the studs are just beginning to protrude through the flange. Then start each header stud nut before pushing the header all the way up against the head. Tighten the nuts just until the rtv starts to squish out and then wait an hour. After an hour tighten them the rest of the way. I bought a stubby 1/2 craftsman wrench to make the job easier. Then re tighten the headers after running it for the first time. I also check them every time I have the down pipe off.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts