Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked to Jason a MM earlier today with the direction my car is headed he seemed to think even their new 415-515lb convential springs might be a bit light for the 350lb coil overs I plan on running in the front. He recommended I go with rear coil overs also to allow a higher rate spring.

Should I really make the plunge right now to rear coil overs or just try the normal springs and go from there if they feel to light? My biggest issue right now is the cost, but also (which I forgot to ask him) will my Koni Sport shocks be able to handle such a heavy spring.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I run 350lb standard rear springs with 350lb coilovers and Griggs Torque Arm, etc. I think it's fine for the street but I've heard a rate of ~425 standard springs for the rear is better for track conditions.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I talked to Jason a MM earlier today with the direction my car is headed he seemed to think even their new 415-515lb convential springs might be a bit light for the 350lb coil overs I plan on running in the front. He recommended I go with rear coil overs also to allow a higher rate spring.

Should I really make the plunge right now to rear coil overs or just try the normal springs and go from there if they feel to light? My biggest issue right now is the cost, but also (which I forgot to ask him) will my Koni Sport shocks be able to handle such a heavy spring.
Mm sells torque arm springs, which is what I have (43TA7). They work just fine with my MM Bilstein Sport Shocks. Up front I have MM Bilstein Sport Struts, coil-overs and 375 lb/in springs.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I was told that on the SN95's the shock tower in the rear will tear if you run coilovers. Is this true?

I plan to go with 350lbs up front and the appropriate conventional springs in the rear, unless I can confirm the coilovers will not tear up the rear shock towers.

·
Registered
43 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was looking at them mounts, but that on top of the cost of the coil overs...scares me away. Well and the fact I have heard complaints about the road noise from the soild bearing mounts.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mm sells torque arm springs, which is what I have (43TA7). They work just fine with my MM Bilstein Sport Shocks. Up front I have MM Bilstein Sport Struts, coil-overs and 375 lb/in springs.
That is what I will probaly go with for now.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I've run both conventional springs (light and heavy sets) and coilover 225's. The ride and handling wasn't all that great with the conv. springs. Moving to coilovers made me a happy man. The ride and handling improved a great deal. I think the difference wasn't the spring rate as much as it was the increase travel. The CO springs have a lot more travel before they bind.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've had the MM coilovers on my 97 Cobra for several years and probably 25+ HPDE days. The rear shock mounts seem to be holding up OK so far.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found a set of used 390-430 springs here, so I am going to just put them on for now. If I want a higher spring rate later, I will switch to a coil over setup.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I was told that on the SN95's the shock tower in the rear will tear if you run coilovers. Is this true?

I plan to go with 350lbs up front and the appropriate conventional springs in the rear, unless I can confirm the coilovers will not tear up the rear shock towers.
I was a little weary of this before too. We ran the D&D kit in my buddy's 98 which saw a good amount of street driving and track passes. When we took them off the shock tower hadn't changed a bit. The car went 1.40 60 foots too.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I found a set of used 390-430 springs here, so I am going to just put them on for now. If I want a higher spring rate later, I will switch to a coil over setup.
No need. If you ned to run higher rate springs for your torque Arm, Speedway Motors has 5" rear springs up to 575#/in. Note that these springs are NOT pig-tail springs. hey are flat-ground on both ends, so you may need to modify your LCA's to accomotdate these springs.

(If you have Grigg's Racing's weight-jacker LCA's you can get the correct spring perch from Griggs.)

This is a LOT cheaper than converting to coilovers, and 575 ought to be enough for just about anyone. I run 575# in back with 425# coilovers up front.

·
Registered
205 Posts
No need. If you ned to run higher rate springs for your torque Arm, Speedway Motors has 5" rear springs up to 575#/in. Note that these springs are NOT pig-tail springs. hey are flat-ground on both ends, so you may need to modify your LCA's to accomotdate these springs.

(If you have Grigg's Racing's weight-jacker LCA's you can get the correct spring perch from Griggs.)

This is a LOT cheaper than converting to coilovers, and 575 ought to be enough for just about anyone. I run 575# in back with 425# coilovers up front.
How much are those 5" springs? I'm considering one of those adapters for the rear that MM (MMCA-1 $29) sells so you can install 2.5" springs. Either way, you must have adjustable lower control arms.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts