Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm running m/t 26x8.5's on a 15x8 wheel with no tubes now-have noticed they're considered soft and according to hoosier their 8.5's are rated firm? i had to run no more than 11.5 lbs of air to hook the m/t's 1.49 60's but then it was all squirly on the topend. wondering if these will help my 60's and trap mph, 7k launch-stick car 3000lbs

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Yes...the Hoosier 26x8.5's are what would be considered a stiff wall. Alot of the outlaw 8.5 racers also run tubes in them to make the sidewalls act stiffer and last longer. You should be able to pickup a used set of hoosier 8.5's for ~$150/pr from a local 8.5 racer.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I ran 16lbs in my 8.5's. Hookin suckers!! Stable as can be.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wondering if i'm going to be able to run more tire pressure with the hoosiers without the 60ft going away like the m/t's did ? Should i just buy tubes for the m/t's or sell them and run the hoosiers-between the two are they a noticeable difference ?

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Yes..you should be able to tell a difference. Alot of the mustang stick guys that run UMTR love the Hoosier 8.5's. I run 13.5psi in my hoosiers at 3350# with tubes in them.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
The tube will help the side walls to appear a little more stiff. They will also help with some stability down the track.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
it's funny cause my car wouldn't better a 1.57 60ft with 26x10's on a 8' rim, with the 26x8.5's on a 8' rim it's going 1.49's-these small tires work
That's because the 10" wide tire isn't ment for an 8" rim. You had almost the same contact patch but essentially had some of the 10" tire acting like part of the sidewall. Your pinching the tire up. 10" slicks work best on a 10" rim. 8.5" best on an 8" rim and they work ok 7" rim but you get some of that pinching also.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's because the 10" wide tire isn't ment for an 8" rim. You had almost the same contact patch but essentially had some of the 10" tire acting like part of the sidewall. Your pinching the tire up. 10" slicks work best on a 10" rim. 8.5" best on an 8" rim and they work ok 7" rim but you get some of that pinching also.
i'm aware of this, thats why i went to the smaller tire because of clearance and i didn't want to buy new wheels

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Me along with most of the Outlaw 8.5" tire racers use a 10" rim with the 8.5" tire. Guys have been 5.0's in the 1/8 with high 1.1x 60's on the Hoosier.

·
Registered
933 Posts
i've seen that car-very impressive-any details about the suspension combo?
basic suspension stuff upper lower control arm 5/8 bolts,afco double ajustable shocks 100lbs springs,racecraft anti roll bar

qa1 single ajust in the front 175lbs spring,qa1 kmember

switched everything to teamz for next season w/relocated uppers

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
basic suspension stuff upper lower control arm 5/8 bolts,afco double ajustable shocks 100lbs springs,racecraft anti roll bar

qa1 single ajust in the front 175lbs spring,qa1 kmember

switched everything to teamz for next season w/relocated uppers
which control arms are you running?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts