Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is a electric water pump worth the $$$ and effort for a street/strip 5.0 or are they more for the track guys who want to circulate the water between rounds. When we did the H/C/I on my son's 85GT we installed a stock replacement aluminum water pump and it felt really lightweight and has performed flawless and the engine runs really good temps in all weather. We were considering going to electric but wasn't sure if it was worth it or even smart on a 5.0 that sees a lot of street duty. I've been weighing the pros and cons and here is what it boils down to. The mechanical works great and the odds of it leaving us stranded out on the road is next to zero and the underdrive crank pulley helps the engine spin it easier. My concern with the electric is: Do you really gain that much power when you factor in the alternator turning harder to make the amps to run the electric pump and the other concern is with a car that sees a lot of street use, my fear would be that all it takes is a popped fuse, electric motor glitch, or controller issues and within seconds , our engine goes into meltdown before we even realize it, unless we happen to be watching the temp gauge constantly. So, is the electric pump a really good idea that makes a good amount of more power or should we stick to the old tried and true mechanical pump for street/strip duty and put that $500+ into something else?? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Out of the 7165 posts that you have I bet 6000 of your questions could be answered by simply "using the search function located in the top right hand side of the screen".

Your question has been answered many, many times before....:)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Out of the 7165 posts that you have I bet 6000 of your questions could be answered by simply "using the search function located in the top right hand side of the screen".

Your question has been answered many, many times before....:)
If everyone used the search button would there ever be a new post? I think all has been covered since these cars came out. :salute:

For OP i think the answer to your question depends on the rest of your sons setup. Will it make more HP with a electric pump yes, but is there some other parts that you could pick up for that price to make a few more ponies? A lot of guys here local run electric pumps on their high dollar builds and the cars see street use, but $500+ is some coin.

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That $500 would get us a nice set of ceramic longtubes with some change left. We don't mind buying the pump if it picks up a decent amount of power, but our biggest concern was reliablity in a street application

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I love my electric water pump on my race car. Easy to circulate water with the engine of between rounds. My street car actually came with an electric and I took it off and replaced it with an edelbrock mechanical pump. IMO too many thing to go wrong on a street car.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
I love my electric water pump on my race car. Easy to circulate water with the engine of between rounds. My street car actually came with an electric and I took it off and replaced it with an edelbrock mechanical pump. IMO too many thing to go wrong on a street car.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
An electric water pump will free up 4-8 hp but imo thats a secondary behind the fact that it cools the car better & faster and you have the ability to cool the car between rounds at the track. I ran my Meziere pump for about 4-5 years now and never had an issue with it, lots of street miles on it also. Id say its one of the best investments ive made in my car.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The last thing I would want is to be driving in heavy rush hour traffic on I-5 and have my electric water pump decide to crap out. I would use one on a dedicated race car, but not on something that I'm depending on to get me home at night.

·
Registered
35,443 Posts
If quality components are selected - not sure why anyone would be concerned about reliability. Billions of electric motors out there driving everything under the sun on cars (and in our homes) all quite reliably. Over the years I've changed out a lot more mechanical water pumps and mechanical fuel pumps that bit the bullet than I have cooling fan motors or windshield wiper motors or electric fuel pumps.

Now - whether it's worth it to you or not -- only you can decide that.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
The last thing I would want is to be driving in heavy rush hour traffic on I-5 and have my electric water pump decide to crap out. I would use one on a dedicated race car, but not on something that I'm depending on to get me home at night.
The same exact thing can happen with a mechanical water pump.

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Save your $

I have been back and forth with them on my car. I finished with the mech pump and got rid of the electric.

I am now putting the pump on the radiator but that is due to weight and balance reasons with the car.

Stick with the mech I never had a issue with a $30 parts store one

Tim

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seems like the meziere pumps have a good reputation and I'm sure electric stuff has gotten better and better over the years. I guess I'm from the old days when the debate was between mechanical or electric fuel pumps. Back in the late 70's/early 80's, if you put a holley electric fuel pump on your car, you'd better have a tow truck on call before you leave the house. I don't hear about that happening much anymore. I'm giving away my age aren't I??

·
Dean Scheidt
3,417 Posts
Awesome Drag Racing combo is electric water pump & electric fan

I switched to a Meziere pump and I really like it. The HP/TQ gains will sort of depend on what you are currently running. I was already running underdrive pullies so I didn't see as much of a HP/TQ gain as someone running stock pulley ratios will get. The biggest benefit so far is the extremely quick engine cool down I get when using the electric fan & water pump between rounds.

I did a before and after dyno comparison when adding my Meziere pump. Here's the tread with all of the details:
http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-5-8-engine-tech/1228260-will-i-reach-350-rwhp.html

Hope that helps,
Dean

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
i run the meziere pump on my street car and have had zero problems with it.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
The same exact thing can happen with a mechanical water pump.
I have never seen a mechanical pump "just go". They'll start to seep long before something really bad happens. An electrical component will usually just quit. No thanks. I don't see any upside to an electric waterpump on a street car.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
The meziere pumps are rated for 3000 hours even if you got half that would be 1500 and at 2hrs per day 750 days 2+ years . I have the meziere 55gpm pump and my car runs cooler than it did with the 30.00 parts store mechanical pump when in trafic . Dont get me wrong any part can fail at anytime but as for a fuse blowing you should always carry spare fuses and a relay just in case .
Last for those who are running mechanical pumps and dont want to use an electric pump or replaced an electric with a mechanical most of you are running an electric fan guess what they can fail to so you better take it of and put a mechanical fan back on .

·
Registered
35,443 Posts
Mechanical pumps can and do let go just as catastrophically. The fact that you haven't seen it (wythors) only means - you haven't seen it. Sometimes they seep for quite a while before leaking enough to become a problem. Sometimes there's no seeping at all - you pull up, stop the car and they puke all over the ground. Happens quite regularly. Your sense of security is a figment of your own limited experience. But - if that works for you - that's ok.

The point of all this is simply - pick an electric for efficiency, for the ability to run it with the engine off, whatever. But don't NOT pick one because you feel they're less reliable than a mechanical pump. That's simply not the case.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts