Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a sweet deal on some and I'm thinking of doing front/rear coil overs.

Getting bounced around by my saleen progressive rate springs is lame. They sag in the back so I've got spacers in the coils which makes it ride harder.

I've read that you can have your cake and eat it to with coil overs being better for handling AND ride.

·
Registered
154 Posts
New or used?? A sweet deal is not a great thing on a key ingrediant of your suspension. Do some research on the Max.Motorsport site and Griggs as these are the leaders in quality parts.
Cheap stuff will not last, need replacement(if the vendor is still around) or perhaps fail.
You will see their stuff is is not cheap when compared to others, but you'll be buying only once.
You'll also get the best tech support too.

Not affiliated in anyway with either vendor.

Nitrous SSC said:
Found a sweet deal on some and I'm thinking of doing front/rear coil overs...~

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'd have to echo the previous post, who's coil overs are these? If they are from a reputable maker then front coil overs are a big step up in handling and flexibility. Rears are probably not as critical and not something I have done to my car yet.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are MMR's

·
Registered
214 Posts
Matt I've got MMR parts on my mustang (7qt oil pan) so I won't instantly pull out the stock response, "Maximum or Griggs". However there are two issues; 1st do you know of anyone racing, open tracking or autoxing their mustang with MMR coil overs? I don't so that would be one no. 2nd go to either of the above manufacturers websites and you'll get three pages of tech and install instructions on their coilover kits, on MMR's website we get one short paragraph. From what I can see Mark makes good stuff, however I'd go with what is proven to work.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
We are forgetting one MAJOR part of the recipe. What struts will you be using? When you use coil-overs, usually (depending on the spring rate chosen) the wheel rates are increased. Without the proper dampening, your ride quality will decrease.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Monroe GP forumula struts/shocks.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Nitrous SSC said:
:shakehead
I hate my GPs. Maybe that's just because I have them mated to super-stiff C springs, but I still dont think they'd be a good choice for a coil over set up.
That's just my uneducated opinion though.

·
Registered
303 Posts
What are you doing with this car?
Is it just a street car which you drive fairly hard, or do you actually race it on a closed course track, or do you auto x it?

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
street car with some auto-xing

·
Registered
84 Posts
coilovers have a few advantages over the stock setup:

* lighter
* better motion ratio
* more adjustable

you can use the flexibility of coilovers to fix ride height, improve ride and improve cornering performance. however, they are not magic. if you don't have the right shock/strut and spring combination, you won't get the results that you want. dampers are a key piece of the puzzle. if you don't have good caster/camber plates, they are important for coilovers. ...good luck!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Nitrous SSC said:
What spring rates are you looking at? From what I have seen, they are okay up to 300# front coil-overs. Anything after that and you will be underdampened. Personally, I like Bilsteins. Since your car is a street car with some autocrossing, then Bilsteins will match your needs very nicely. Even if you dont get the Bilsteins, I would look for some other dampeners that the GPs for coil-overs.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Whats the price's of bilsteins.

Street/Handling Front and rear kit - $299 (350lb x 12 Front-150lb x 10 rear)

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Bilsteins are around $550 for a set. Maximum Motorsports makes specific coil-over kits for the Bilstein shocks and struts. I am not sure on how well the MMR kits will work with the Bilsteins.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Oktavius said:
Bilsteins are around $550 for a set. Maximum Motorsports makes specific coil-over kits for the Bilstein shocks and struts. I am not sure on how well the MMR kits will work with the Bilsteins.
They more than likely will not work with Bilsteins. Bilstein uses a different diameter shock and strut body than KYB, Koni or Tokico.

Not only that, but I would be very apprehensive of buying the MMR stuff unless I knew more about the rear coil over mounting system. All the low priced rear coilover kits I have seen have a pretty crappy mounting system that puts a bending load on the shock in a one-wheel bump situation;not the best setup for street or road course use. With a drag car that has no lateral loads you can get by with it, on a car that sees cornering forces something is going to get broken or worn out in a real hurry. For cornering you want a spherical mount at the top of the rear shock to allow the shock to rotate without putting a bending load on the shaft. Personally, I would much rather use a weight jacking style lower rear arm on conventional springs than a poorly engineered coil over kit.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So maybe get front coil overs and a panhard bar for the back?

·
Registered
121 Posts
maybe instead of going with subpar coilovers which may or may not match your shocks,
you should look into a set of bilsteins or Koni shocks/struts. As for the sag in the rear, Kenny brown sells a spacer to put between your springs and the LCA to add height. MM also sells polyurethane spring isolators that are slightly thicker then the mangled stock rubber isolators.

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Serpentor said:
As for the sag in the rear, Kenny brown sells a spacer to put between your springs and the LCA to add height. MM also sells polyurethane spring isolators that are slightly thicker then the mangled stock rubber isolators.
But thats still a "band-aid" not a real fix.

·
Registered
121 Posts
well the "real fix" is to get the full MM bilstein coilover package. actually the real fix to the crapy mustang suspension is to get the full MM pahhard bar/torque arm package with Kmember swap, even that is a bandaid compared to the SLA conversion from griggs. where does it end? all mustang suspension mods are bandaids.

what I suggested is less of a bandaid and will give you better results then sticking with your old shocks and buying a coilover kit that you're gonna throw away, and if you want to upgrade to a MM c/o kit later on, will give you a better foundation (better shocks/struts) to build on.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts