Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished my turbo build late last year, and the car has a t-5 with 3.73s.... this thing spools ridiculously fast and will fry the tires in third, very fun for a street car, which is the goal I had all along.....

Question is, will the car pick up from 3.27s? Is it a good idea to take away leverage from an already weak T-5? I'm on probably one of the lowest car guy budgets in existence and the T-5 is gonna stay for a while unfortunately.

Car is on a 7psi spring but usually holds 8-9psi, motor is stockish, untouched e7s e-303 and explorer intakes with 70mm TB. I'm assuming its right around 380-420hp maybe 450-480 torque.

Any thoughts?

I'm contemplating a little more boost, maybe 10-11 PSI so I can go LS hunting this season, should put me around 450+. At what power level, etc. do lower gears help?

·
Registered
549 Posts
when you go hunting ls cars you will want traction not tire frying. 3.27's are a good idea for sure. the traction might be a little tougher on your t5, but you could easily break the damn thing now. just remember to take it a bit easy when you shift into third and that will help it live for as long as it can.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Are you running drag radials? A good tire will help traction more than anything else.

·
Registered
372 Posts
3.27's will allow the turbo to work or hold boost longer between shifts. I am in a similar situation but with a 331/turbo and a t5. Mine also spools fast but fries the tires in forth also. I have 3.27's that I haven't installed. Pretty sure it will be more fun with the gear change.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Tko with 3.73 here switched to 3.27 and I have to say it is much better. It will still smoke the tires at 70

·
Registered
994 Posts
I'm gonna be the oddball in this thread and say that I honestly don't like the 3.27's in mine. I had 3.73's and went to 3.27's. And in the next week or two am going to go to 3.55's. My car with a set of Toyo TQ's on the back will dead hook even in first gear(as long as the car is moving) with 513 RWHP. And I think the 3.27's are boring. The car is just too long legged. It'll do darn near 80 in second gear. So I can't even do a quick 1-2-3 pull on the street without worrying about Johnny Law taking me to jail. And the 3.27's are horrid for AutoX. They put me down too low in second gear where I'm out of boost. And once I just start to get into boost, I have to get on the brakes. Lower gears make for a more fun street car in my opinion.

·
Registered
90 Posts
This really depends on the purpose for the car but I have also been down this path, went 3.73 for my HCI setup and when i threw the turbo on went back down to 3.27, and like others could not be happier.

The car still spools quick and is way more controllable on the street, I have a T5z with a little different gearing than the standard unit but I dont find it to be a dog in any gear. I say go for it!

·
Registered
503 Posts
The jury is still out for me...I had 3.73's and just fryed the tires till 4th...I switched to 3.27's are way more usable on the street. If I were building a new rear end it would be hard for me not to go with 3.55's with my tko 600. Maybe when I turn the boost up 23-25 psi I will preach 3.27's but, on the street w/ pump gas and 12-17psi and 550-575 rwhp range. I think 3.55's may be the best.

"I'm Absolutley Positive I'm not Sure!!!"

·
Registered
299 Posts
My answer is YES! Best mod I ever made on my turbo mustang.

My car doesn't have nearly the horsepower most cars on here have. With 3:73s I didn't really build boost till 3rd gear. My lack of traction in 1st and 2nd made it worthless. It would start to build toward the end of 2nd but then it was time to shift.

Enter 3:27s completely new car. Much more fun to drive. Builds usable boost in all gears. Seems like it almost double the time spent in each gear. The 3:73s you have to shift out of 1st and 2nd to fast. Bottom line your cars is only worth a #### in boost and the longer you can stay in it is best.

You maybe able to get away with the 3:73s with a big tire like 28".

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I'll report on this hopefully soon. My car makes mid 700 for hp and tq. The car has 3.73's a T-56 and Toyo Proxis TQ's (315/35/18).

·
Registered
351 Posts
The lower gears get my vote!! I went from a 3.73 to a 3.31, i got it for free, it like previously stated makes the car more fun, longer pulls, and better cruising.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the input guys, i think i'll throw a set of lower gears on the to do list for this season. first and 2nd really are pretty useless

·
Registered
402 Posts
When mine had 3.73's and a mild turbo combo, it was taching out around the 1200 foot mark. Put 3.27's and never looked backed. Currently running 3.08's with a glide and LOVE it.

In short, get rid of the 3.73's.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts