Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to Summit and B&M the only option I have for a shifter is a factory shifter or a B&M Hammer which I'm not the biggest fan of.

SilverFox will be building me a 4R70W tranny with a man. V/B. I don't expect the shifter to do anything special except make me enjoy the sight and feel of it which I won't get with the Hammer or a stock shifter. With that said, here is a link to the Hammer shifter on Summits site: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=BMM-81001&N=700+4294925134+4294839069+4294822068+4294904002+115&autoview=sku Here's the part # if the link doesn't work: B&M 81001

I called up B&M to see if there was a way to modify a shifter that I liked better to work and the guy on the other end either thought I was stupid and didn't want to help or didn't know how to if there was/is a way to do it. He also said the TV cable would leak fluid. (I suppose now, I'm going to need to learn all about TV cables and Hi-Def etc for it to work.. (umm, that was a joke)

Who could I call that knows enough about an aode/4r70w that could lead me in the right direction of reworking/tweaking a shifter/linkage I like to work with my tranny?

I thought maybe B&M was the answer but after being on hold for 30min no exageration and being told to pack sand, I gotta back up and regroup.

I was hoping to let the pros deal with the technical part without taking the time to become an expert myself on trannies and shifters but it seems that's not going to happen. SilverFox has been more than helpful, but I'm trying to keep from bugging him with questions I should probably already know the answer to had I started to do all of my "searching" to begin with.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Hey, SF built me a 4R, too. I think it may have been his first
or one of his first of that type. Still have it sitting on my garage
floor, I work away from home & haven't had enuf time at home to
make the swap and wire up and program the Baumann TCS.

Ummm - I don't recall finding any tv cable on 4R's - they're
an AOD thing cuz the AOD is hydraulically controlled & the
/E & 4R are electrically controlled.

Anyway - when I did all the research, I found out that AOD/E & 4R
T-Birds & Mark VIII's had some real nice looking leather handle
shifters with the OD delete button in the handle. I got a Mk8
unit off ebay for around $50 in real nice condition, with the wiring.

Only thing the handle above the shift plate isn't angled back like
my Mark VII AOD shifter is, but that's a small thing really.
I also got the shift indicator plate with the shifter, actually nicer
unit than my Lincoln AOD setup. Looks like it'll bolt right in
to the console.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
i have installed a AOD lever in the 4R before- it requires some epoxy to seal up the big hole obviously.

you should have zero issues making the stock stang lever work with any shifter.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have installed a AOD lever in the 4R before- it requires some epoxy to seal up the big hole obviously.

you should have zero issues making the stock stang lever work with any shifter.
I obvisously need to call you lol

So you're saying that I need to find a shifter for an aod and we're good right?

I will call you later this week.

B&M and Hurst both make adapters for their pro stick/ quarter stick shifters.

I personaly run a Hammer on my 4R70, but will be swapping to a pro stick when I break it.

From the B&M website:
80706 - Ford - C4, C6 or AOD with aluminum cover (AOD req. 40496 inst. kit)

http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id=products&sid=4&cat=2&subcat=2&pid=22
I've spoken with B&M twice now and both times I'm told it won't work. I gotta say, they're actual B&M techs that are suppose to know these things. I got no faith in 'em. He told me they don't make a conversion kit and didn't know who I could call to make one work other than the hammer.

Thanks for the help guys.

Terry

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
When you get it hooked up, I'd love to see it. The hammer is OK, but its got this loose feel to it that I hate. Plus I have accedentaly lined up and launched in second because there is no visual way to tell what gear your in.

·
Registered
772 Posts
When you get it hooked up, I'd love to see it. The hammer is OK, but its got this loose feel to it that I hate. Plus I have accedentaly lined up and launched in second because there is no visual way to tell what gear your in.
Well, that's like having a powerglide in the car:)

qikazz

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
As I understand it, the AOD "travel" distance at the attachment point of the linkage to the lever is a little different than for an AOD/E or 4R.

If you're looking for pic's of T-Bird or Mark8 shifters, you should be able to find them on ebay, there were quite a few when I looked for mine.

One thing to remember - besides having to massage the hole in an AOD shifter to work with a 4R, you don't have an OD delete in the handle.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay I've got it narrowed down to two... or three

All B&Ms

Magnum grip Street Bandit - BMM 81050

Pro Stick Composite X - BMM 81043

Magnum Grip Pro Stick - BMM 81040

These came up as will work with an AOD. Worst case scenerio, I'll have to either weld or epoxy up the TV cable hold and possibly tweak a hole on the cable/shifter?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
what I ment was the trans lever is basicaly 2" center to center on the AOD and the 4R for the stang. Meaning I don't think you will need to invest in any shift linkage kits.

ANd the only mod I have seen on the shift linkage kits that is differant thatn the stock lever is a hole size really.

Good luck on your search.
Like I said one of my customers has a B&M ratchet that you just slam back and forth to shift...niffty, and fit in stock console.

·
Registered
26 Posts
shifter

call this company
Phone: (631) 242 - 0008 (In NY)
(800) 769 - 1118 (Out of State)
FB Performance Transmissions, Inc.
85 Cleveland Ave.
Bay Shore, N.Y. 11706
they can modify stock shifter
they do it on there manual valve body 4r40w/aode tranny