Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the mustang out tonite and i lost 3rd and OD i knew it was coming i have been hearing a scraping noise when it park..No biggie...Just want a decent trans and convertor...which Company to look at?...I dont want to spend a ton of money just need a decent street/strip trans and a good convertor any ideas???

·
Registered
549 Posts
i'm gonna go 4r70w with mine from a 5 spd. they can be found for a decent price used out of the newer v6 cars and i've heard are quite strong from the factory.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much more has to be done to bolt that up to were the AOD is now?

·
Registered
549 Posts
same housing bolt pattern as the aod as long as the 4r70w is from a v6 car. search "4r70 swap" on here and you should find all the info you would need. you could also look into rebuilding your aod. it helps to have friends that know there way around things like that to help keep labor costs down. a good converter is gonna be prob the most expensive part either way u go. as they arent cheap

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Who makes a good convertor?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I knew it was gonna happen just like mine did.
I got a used Freddie Brown AO3 with a Pro Torque converter. It doesnt have OD and is a non lockup converter, kinda like a lighter C6.
My street driving is probably much different that yours and I dont drive in much stop and go traffic but my car feels like a beast compared to the stockish AOD.
I thought about a 4R70 but I really dont need OD.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Dirty Dog or Ultimate on the converters. I have an Ultimate single disk lockup I'm waiting to install. I'm also in the process of doing a 4r70 swap. Moving into a new house has put it on hold for now but in a month or so I'll be going on it for the day or so it will take to throw everything in. Cheap swap too. The v6 trannys will allegedly hold 500 with no problems IF it's post 1998. I got one with 60k on it out of an 01. Downside is I spent $200 on the trans, $500 on the manual valve body (which is required if you don't get a trans controller like the one from baumann) and $975 on a converter. The way I figure it I can pick up a new trans for less than it would cost for a t5 rebuild kit. Plus I'll be faster and more consistent so that's good. I'm anxious to get going on this seeing parts sit around in my shop and collect dust is driving me nuts!!!

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I knew it was gonna happen just like mine did.
I got a used Freddie Brown AO3 with a Pro Torque converter. It doesnt have OD and is a non lockup converter, kinda like a lighter C6.
My street driving is probably much different that yours and I dont drive in much stop and go traffic but my car feels like a beast compared to the stockish AOD.
I thought about a 4R70 but I really dont need OD.
Yeah so did I...i have had the car for 6 yrs it was supercharged since i bought it so God knows how old the trans was to begin with it had a nice shift kit huge trans cooler and a mild stall...it help up pretty good for the yr i have had the turbo on..so it doesnt owe me anything...I want an AOD again bolt out bolt in..i dont want to make any adjustments or fit stuff etc...so thats why im looking for a good AOD....

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A year on your aod? I was worried my fresh rebuild would last a month.
It was a Good AOD i guess...it held fine with the blower at 10 psi for like 2 yrs then the turbo for a yr...not bad.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
if you need a good transmission guy let me know. my boy that helped me build my car is a engine, rear, and transmission expert. let me know this is the same guy that can do the chassis work you were also interested in.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Sent mine to Freddy Brown, was making 725rwhp, tranny was holding but kept pushing out tranny seal puking fluid all over.

The big names are Lentech, Silverfox and Freddy Brown. I had the full manual VB from Lentech in mine but they were not even willing to work with me on my transmission. They said buy a new one for $3300 and then send us the old VB back and well give you 50% of your VB purchase price as credit(so basically buy another NEW valve body from them for $1000 when the one I have maybe perfectly good). I feel like my transmission was overall pretty good but maybe had some minor issues. Freddy Brown said SEND us the transmission, we will repair only WHAT needs to be with high-end parts and of course move to their valve body.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if you need a good transmission guy let me know. my boy that helped me build my car is a engine, rear, and transmission expert. let me know this is the same guy that can do the chassis work you were also interested in.
Ok cool i need to talk to you maybe we can hook up one day...

·
Premium Member
1,535 Posts
Hey Man. We chatted before. I would strongly suggest a 4rw70. I have a fully built AOD myself , I am buying a different converter off someone here. But my plan is to go 4rw70 when this goes. I can't wait to be able to control when converter locks, not.a just hard 3 gar lockup. Its much stronger Tran and cheaper to mod.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

·
Registered
433 Posts
Might want to give Jay over at Broader Performance Transmissions a call he does good stuff and the prices are pretty good I have been getting parts from for awhile now and he is very helpful and takes his time with you when talking about things fast shipping on stuff also.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah but whats needed to convert to that trans from an AOD?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yeah but whats needed to convert to that trans from an AOD?
A converter valve body a trans controller if you want automatic shift. Call Dan at silverfox he will answer all of your questions and give you options. He builds aods as well that are just as strong.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went to carlise swap meet yesterday and PA perfromance trans was there talked to them i think im going to go with them..They can build 4rw70 with a full manual valve body with an electric OD trans brake..and custom build a torque convertor for my car..not cheap tho around $4k. he said he will handle 900 hp more then what my car makes...lol

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I went to carlise swap meet yesterday and PA perfromance trans was there talked to them i think im going to go with them..They can build 4rw70 with a full manual valve body with an electric OD trans brake..and custom build a torque convertor for my car..not cheap tho around $4k. he said he will handle 900 hp more then what my car makes...lol
I have had some experiance with PA. STAY AWAY. Quality control is non exsistant and after sale service sucks. If you have any doubts about what I am saying I can shoot you some pics of there parts. They go to these shows because they have to to sell there parts. Stay with the fore mentioned builders. PLEASE!

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
find out what you wanna do. i will give you my friends number if you like and you can give him a call and discuss what your looking to do. he can also remove and reinstall the trans. not trying to be pushy or sell you on the guy he is just good at what he does and knows his stuff.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts