Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'll try to describe this the best I can. In reverse and first gear the car shudders right about 950rpms. It's just about when the car is at a slow roll. I am also getting a "sweet" smell when I feel this. I know this is not a good desciption but any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Sweet smell would probably be antifreeze, possibly a bad heater core or a leak somewhere. How bad is this "shudder"? I am guessing that this is engine and not tranny related. Without more info it's hard to tell.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, I just got back from school and I think it might be engine related also. The smell seems to be the smell of gas. I have a seperate trans cooler so I dont think it's leaking internally. And I checked the trans oil when I got home and it seemed ok. A little darker then I like but it might just be time to change it. So I'm thinking it might be a fuel related issue.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Have you changed the fuel filter lately?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I actually changed it along with the PCV valve about 2 months ago. Here is what I have determined. At idle or part throttle it has bad hesitation and it is fuel that I'm smelling. I am going to pull the plugs and look at them and also try to clean the mass air meter. Any other suggestions on what I can check?:confused:

·
Registered
923 Posts
Check the injector o-rings to see if they are leaking for the gas smell. Also check your fuel pressure to make sure that the fuel pump is working properly. Let me know what happens.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:

I changed the plugs and the coolant temp sensor and then I cleaned just about any electrical connection that I could get to under the hood. The problem is now gone. I am betting it was the coolant temp sensor though. The one I pulled out looked pretty old. Also my car was running a little warmer than usual but that peoblem seems to be gone now.:D

·
Registered
923 Posts
Glad to hear that you fixed it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts