Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99-01 GT AOD

When cruising with the over-drive on, say around 45-55 does anyone notice the car jerking a bit? When I turn the over-drive off it feels fine. How many of you leave the over-drive on during day to day driving?

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
Grn935oh:

You may get yelled at for using the term AOD because you have a 4R70W transmission. The AOD has not been used in the Mustang for a good number of years. Anyway...

You might be feeling the torque converter locking up and unlocking. Is the jerkiness associated with a change in rpm (say, 300-500 rpm difference)? Does the problem go away at a higher speed (like 60 or 70 mph)? lower speed (like 40-45 mph)?

I leave OD on. The only time it goes off is if I am going to do some WOT runs or if the road becomes quite hilly and it is shifting in and out of OD (by itself).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You may get yelled at for using the term AOD
HAven't had the '01 for that long and never had automatic "4R70W transmission" either. I will have to do a little more research on it before the next post. :eek: I've always had a
T-5

I guess I would say it is just at low speeds and slight throttle changes. I was just wondering if this was normal. I notice if I try to use the cruise control between 45-50, trying not to speed (foot gets really heavy!) As far as the over-drive, I only turn it off when getting ready to make a calculated pass or WOT. Thanks for the heads up on the 4R70W!

·
Premium Member
2,054 Posts
Grn935oh:

I was a 5-speeder, too, until I came across my '98 GT!

Required reading is to be found at tccoa.com under the Tech Articles/Transmissions section. The article is "Transmissions 101", written by Jerry Wroblewski, the rather clever fellow who designed the 4R70W and now he works for Roush. (He is a wicked tuner, too).

A couple of chapters focus on modifying the separator plate to improve shift speed and firmness. This is the "Jerry mod" that you may read about from time to time. May I suggest that you consider doing this and your driving enjoyment will increase 100%. And add a tranny cooler, too -- your trans will thank you.

chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts