Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Steeda Firewall Adj. Cable and Quadrant on my '97 Cobra and it has had a bad vibration since the install over 5 months ago. I've tried shimming the quadrant w/washers (which helped a bit, but not totally) and also tried adjusting the cable to no avail.

The odd thing is that if I apply a slight amount of pressure to the clutch pedal the vibration dissapears. Could it be that I don't have my clutch adjusted properly? My pedal is already fairly high off the floor when it engages so I hesitate to 'tighten' the firewall adjuster and increase the pressure from the Throw-out bearing to clutch 'fingers'... if this makes sense.

Could I have something installed wrong? Any suggestions or tips to kill this vibration? Is it just something I have to live with the rest of the life of this clutch?

Thanks for any tips/suggestions.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ttt

Surely I'm not the only one to experience this... am I?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Everyone experiences it.

Things that can be done? I dont know I'm going to try electrical tape on the knoc. People have cut rubber hose in half and placed it over the shaft, and that has helped.

The vibration is soming from the quadrant itself.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I never had a vibration after installing the steeda quadrant. You sure the Throwout bearing isnt going out on you? Why is your clutch set up so high? Loosen it up, your thrwout bearing shouldnt be contacting the pressure plate when not used for disengaging the clutch.

James

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have the same problem. The Steeda quadrant hole is too large for the stock quadrant shaft causing it to vibrate. Maybe they(Steeda) actually have different quadrants for different years.

FWIW, my throwout bearing is fine and my clutch is adjusted to engage/disengage close to the floor.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have the same problem. My clutch is new and so is my T/O bearing, but the quadrant still vibrates. It seems like the hole in the quadrant is simply too large. I've been trying to find some kind of nylon spacer to go over the stock shaft, but haven't had any luck yet.

Anybody have any ideas :barf:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I didn't find the hole to be too large, but I did find out that the Steeda quadrant isn't as thick as the stock one, so I used 3 or 4 washers on the inside to keep the quadrant from moving side to side. Otherwise it can wander, and the quadrant should be lined up with the firewall hole (you want the cable to come out of the firewall in line with the quadrant).

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did the same thing as Snakebit... as far as using like 3 washers on the inside and one on the outside to keep the Quadrant f/moving side-to-side.

The thing that gets me is that when I apply the slightest pressure w/my foot to the clutch pedal the vibration stops. I'm assuming f/what others are saying is that this applies pressure to the cable and quadrant and stops the quadrant f/vibrating??

I sure would like to find a way around this... I may have to change over to the SVO quadrant... it wasn't loose like the Steeda unit I have know.

On a side note.... should the throw-out bearing be touching the pressure plate fingers or not?? Seems to me that before I replaced my OE clutch w/a new one f/SPEC... the OE Throw-out bearing was touching the pressure plate and that's why I installed the same for the new clutch/TOB.

Thanks again...

·
Registered
696 Posts
I put a UPR quadrant on my 96 Cobra a few years ago and didn't have any vibration problems and it worked nice and easy.

I put in a T56 transmission and FRPP/Mcleod clutch combo and the vibration started. Didn't touch the quadrant/cable. So I figured it was something I messed up on the install of the clutch or tranny.

If I take my foot completely off the petal it literally rattles and sounds like something is going to grenade. If I put a little pressure on it, it stops. So I drive with a light foot on the clutch (note the clutch doesn't engage until a couple inches from the floor). It also feels like it binds sometimes, the clutch feel is always harder than stock and sometimes much worse than other times. I tried replacing the clutch cable with a new one twice, one stock, one BBK.

I just assumed I messed up my clutch while installing it and something isn't right... like the throwout bearing is touching something it shouldn't or something is binding in the transmission.

I'm not in a hurry to fix it since I need to remove or loosen my BBK headers to get to it.

If there is another fix or this is a known problem, I'd love to hear what is wrong, this is the one thing that makes my car suck to drive.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
John

that sounds exactly like my situation. However... when I initially installed the new SPEC clutch I didn't replace the cable or quadrant and didn't notice any vibrations at all. After about 2 weeks of driving w/the OE plastic Quad on I decided to replace w/the Steeda unit. That's when I started to notice the vibrations and such.

I hope someone can shed some light on this problem before I blow up my clutch, tranny or something else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts