Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok to wrap my 3in downpipe in header wrap? My brother's installing my kit and said that it's extremely close to some parts and suggested to get some header wrap for it...I've heard this isn't always a great idea though b/c sometimes the hot parts can get too hot and then they start to weaken prematurely?? Anyone doing this? This is a TTI street kit btw...thanks!

ps...will any header wrap work?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I just wrapped mine. The ThermoTec 2" header wrap is what I used. It's about $35 a roll from Summit. You will need the metal strap and clips as well. The stuff works. Yeah, it can cause damage later (much later), but so can an unwrapped pipe. Hell, I had protective sleeves on my MSD wires and still burnt through one of them. I can build a new down pipe in five years IF anything ever happens.

·
Registered
125 Posts
...or you could have it ceramic coated and just make sure you have some air space between the coated header and anything else (nothing actually touching it) and you should be fine. We typically have all of our turbo hot parts ceramic coated before installation here.

·
Registered
83 Posts
my headers and downpipes are ceramic coated, and the downpipes are also wrapped.
it really controls heat, i could almost grab the downpipes even after a ride.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts