Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just broke a 2nd stock axle in 4 days. I put a new clutch in it to get ready for Pinks and I broke one during the Wednesday night drags. I only had time to replace with another stocker to get ready for Pinks All Out on Friday and Saturday. I broke the 2nd axle when Rich did the arm drop. He helped push my car back. That sucked!!

Anyway, are the Alloy USA axles any good? The price is right but I want to make sure they can handle 500ft/lbs, 3.55's, and a 3400lb car. I plan to upgrade to 31 spline. I was going to get the Superiors, but a friend twisted the splines on a couple of thier 28 spline axles with 13 second horsepower!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I'd go with Strange or Moser's, I run Strange 31 splines and have never had an issue with them. I leave the line on the brake at 5000.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I ran a set on my 302 combo for a full season. 12.80's leaving off a brake @ 3800. Dead hook pulling the wheels 6" 1.6 60ft. times. I went to Strange 33's w/ spool

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I use them and so does my buddy. i ran low 12s on nitrous pulling the front tire on M/T drag radials cutting a 1.6 60' and my buddy runs them in his turbo 5.4 vert. Neither had any problems of us have had any problems.

Brian

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have been running the SS Strange 31 spline axles in my pig for a few years.
I've cut 1.45 60ft times on 26x10 slicks with a Spec 3 clutch and a TKO. Hell, I even busted a Eaton posi unit with that same set up. I can't speak for other brands, but I've had good luck with these so far.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I run the superior, and so far they are great in the 31 spline axle. I hear mixed reviews on all axle brands. I've searched and found no bad reviews of the superior in 31 spline axles and up. I hear mixed reviews on the mosers, that is why i did not go with them. Could not find much reviews on the USA alloy. I hear Strange is good.
Any 31 spline axle is going to be better. Can't wait to see you on PINKS.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had my mind made up on the Superiors as well until I saw those twisted 28 splines in a "slow" car. I am just a little nervous now after that last stocker only took 3 passes with pretty lousy 60ft times.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
i have a set in my car ..i bent the driver side a few weeks ago ,,but they have a 10yr warrentee ..so i just replaced it .

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How did you bend it? Did it hit a curb and bend or did it twist from too much power? If you twisted it with 350lbs of torque, then they are not going to cut it. I had that much torque NA.

I really don't care what the warranty is, I don't want to have to keep doing this. I want an axle that won't break.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
How did you bend it? Did it hit a curb and bend or did it twist from too much power? If you twisted it with 350lbs of torque, then they are not going to cut it. I had that much torque NA.

I really don't care what the warranty is, I don't want to have to keep doing this. I want an axle that won't break.
i really don't know how or when it happened ... some one driving behind me told me my pass wheel was whoobling so brought it home jacked it up and sure enough the axle flange was bend.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, that is not from overpowering it. It either came that way (scary) or you should have some signs of impact on your wheel. I slid the back into a curb screwing around and it didn't hit that hard but it was enough to do this to my stock axle. The stock axles I replaced my stocker with broke. My other original still looks perfect. I wish I never bent the other one. I had some freak stockers that could handle some major abuse. The last one I put in only handled 3 passes.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I went 12.30's on my stockers on dr's. Put in some alloy ones. Havent got to run it yet but you could see where my stock ones were starting to twist.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had over 1000 passes on my stockers running 12.0 with mid 1.6 60fts on ET Street bias ply's before I bent the axle and had to use these other stockers. They even handled a few 11.40's with 1.57 60fts. My problem started when I put the good clutch in 2 weeks ago. If my tires bit really good before, my Centerforce would slip and save the drivetrain. My high clamp Pro-Motion does not slip off the line so it just kills the axles if the tires hook.

I need an axle that can handle a mid 1.5 60ft with a 3600lb race weight and 3.55 gears.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Probably have to step up in spline size. Thats a heavy car. I can see where the clutch was saving it though.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am definitely going with 31's, I just don't know which ones. I am thinking I better do c-clip elims also to make it legal for 10's as well in case the cage ever goes in.

·
Registered
119 Posts
i am the one that just broke one!!! i can not say anything good or bad about them. but i dont they are for a heavy car. i am going with a little more higher dallor axle this time. when my new set comes in they are going on ebay. oh and mine had 3 dead hooking passes and broke on the 4th. i have a 2002 gt fully dressed with spare tire.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts