Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in the spec clutch or star clutch... I am interested in the stage 3 clutch. If any one is running this or the stage 2 let me know how it works and if the stage three chatters at all...Thanks
www.specpwr.com

·
Registered
25 Posts
yes, the stage III chatters. The stage II is good up to 550HP and has much smoother engagement.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply... Does it chatter all the time or only until it breaks in. I am wodering if the stage two clutch will hold up to my 331 when I put a blower on it? and lauch at 5600...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again! Do you know of any one running the stage two without any problems...Thanks!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
NTIMID8 said:
Thanks for the reply... Does it chatter all the time or only until it breaks in. I am wodering if the stage two clutch will hold up to my 331 when I put a blower on it? and lauch at 5600...
Stage III- Well it only chattered about the first 350-400 miles until it broke in on mine, very grippy. Grips fast and hard but releases very smooth and is easy to power or speed shift.

I launch at 5800rpms on my 26" x 11.5" ET STREETS and have never had it think about slipping, grabs and goes. Star says it will hold 650RWHP with out a problem, and I beleive that. I have 33 passes on mine and it still looks and feels new. When I got the disc I was a little worried about how thin the material was on the dosc but like I said it still looks new after 35 passes and 1500 street miles.

Don't think you can go wrong with a Star Clutch, all and talk to David Norton;)
We put the Stage II on my buddies car feels nice, slightly easier pedal but I think if you plan to do a lot of racing or make big HP I would go Stage III. I know I'll be testing it out with my Big Shot Plate System next year:eek:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rick 91GT, What material is on your stage three clutch? And you havent had any times at all since the break in with chatter. I am getting ready to order one and I dont want to go wrong. I only race every couple of months? Do you think the stage two is better? I did atually talk to dave already but I just wanted other people's experiences. Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
also how hard is the pedal pressure of stage three star compare to center force dual friction. Thanks

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
NTIMID8 said:
Rick 91GT, What material is on your stage three clutch? And you havent had any times at all since the break in with chatter. I am getting ready to order one and I dont want to go wrong. I only race every couple of months? Do you think the stage two is better? I did atually talk to dave already but I just wanted other people's experiences. Thanks in advance...
I run the carbon puck Stage III and it hasn't chattered since I did the break in of 450 miles. If you plan to make the kind of power you talked about above I would get the Stage III to ensure it holds up at the strip.

The pedal pressure is harder then the CF DF I had a few years ago, but it performs so much better, and now the clutch peda really doesn't feel that bad, you get use to it. It does grab as soon as it touches so it did take a little bit of time to get use too...money well spent IMO:)

·
Corral Charter Member
3,746 Posts
Don't know if this helps or not, but:

I have the Stage II clutch. The pedal engagement is very easy, and it has held up flawlessly to many runs on nitrous. My car makes 460 rwp, and 550 ft/lbs rwtorque. No chatter at all.

Steve

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LXguy, Are you launching on slicks,drag radials or street tires. And how long has the clutch been in your car? Do you wish you would have gone to the stage three clutch at all? Thanks

·
Corral Charter Member
3,746 Posts
I am launching on slicks. I would say I have made about thirty passes in the high 1.4 - low 1.5 60' range.

I have the car apart for freshening, and the clutch and aluminum flywheel look brand new.

I told the guys at SPEC that I was running a Real Street nitrous combination, and this is the setup that they recommended to me.

If all else fails, I would call them and follow their advice.

Good Luck
Steve

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LXguy, do you experience any chattering on the street on street tires or only when you were breaking in the clutch. Basically I am looking for real world experiences. Thanks again

·
Corral Charter Member
3,746 Posts
My car is more of a race car than a street car. But it hasn't ever chattered.

Technically, it is still in the break-in period. :)

Steve

·
Registered
259 Posts
I am having the same dilema....Stage II or Stage III.

I was leaning towards Stage III (which is way overkill right now, but will be good for the future), but then I thought if I get a Tremec TKO later, I will need a new disc, since the shaft splines are different. Although when I called STAR, they told me that with the STAGE III only, they could change the center spline hub for around $50.

Hmmmmmmm

If I was 100% sure the Stage II would do, I would get it since it would probablly make street driving easier????

Anyone Else w/ Feedback???????

Thanx,
LOBE
~~~~

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lobe_50 I think with your setup I would go with the stage II it is good to 485 at the rear wheels. Does any one have 1500+ miles on the stage three with no chatter? I know it will chatter on break in.

·
Premium Member
2,279 Posts
I'm about to purchase a SPEC clutch too, except I'm trying to decide on if I want either the stage I or II I'm not making no where near the power you guys are, this is going into my daily driver with just pullies and exhaust, I do plan on mods for the future, but not near future, should I just go with the Stage I? Not sure if any of you have any experience with that one. Thanks!

·
Corral Charter Member
3,746 Posts
OOOOOOOPS!

Hey:

I just called Spec. TUrns out I have a stage III instead of a stage II.

Sorry about that. Still like it though.

Steve

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
EvinH, I would also go stage two it will allow you to improve later on.

·
Premium Member
2,279 Posts
Well what I have planned for this car, I don't see myself possibly breaking the 400hp barrier, but you never know. Thats why I bought the car so I can turn my other mustang into a Strip/Street machine and would need that kinda performance from a clutch if I was going with the manual trans. But I guess its always better to be safe than sorry. Thanks for your opinion.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts