Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the Stifflers fox body tubular Crossmember for a TKO and their driveshaft safety loop. The loop just mounts to the trans crossmember trans mount instead of the floor. Do any of you guys use these or can give me some feedback on the crossmember or the loop? Pros or cons! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
I use it. Works really well. I am using a Glide based trans with a 3 1/2" aluminum driveshaft and everything mounts great and has very good clearance.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Does look nice. I know the one I have mounted on my floor tends to be an obstacle when I am changing out my trannys, when I am hefting them up to the install position right before I stab it. Looks like with that one you can just drop the whole cross member and loop as an assembly. and get them out of the way together.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I ran into a few issues not mentioned when trying to install this same set up on a 88GT with a TKO600 transmission.
First off they state that you must purchase the TKO bushing spacer kit due to a shorter pad mounting height on the TKO. When I tried installing per the instructions, there was not nearly enough room for all the components. Called them and they mentioned this happens all the time due to fords crappy tolerances. Told me to match the pinion angle with the trans angle with spacers and washers and test combinations to get to where it needs to be. Pain in the a$$ but what can you do? The kit was only around $10 so it's not like I lost out on a bunch of money.
Second is that the driveshaft safety loop will not fit the 3550 or TKO with out some modifications to the tail housing of the transmission. Great, let's hack up my $3000 Hanlon prepped TKO600! Not a simple job on your back in the garage with the transmission already mated to the engine. There was no mention of this in any of the instruction pamphlets included with these parts. I purchased these components for a quick, hassle free install but that has not been my experience.

·
Registered
7,603 Posts
i'd love to see some pics of this unit after a driveshaft failure...

·
Registered
511 Posts
I had the Metco. Its ok. The Stifflers I have now is better for several reasons. Getting the tranny in and out quick is the main one. The other one is the Stifflers moves with the tranny under a really hard hit and wont kiss the driveshaft. I wasn't to thrilled when my Mark Williams kissed the hoop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts