Ford Mustang Forums banner

Anyone use Arctic MX-4 thermal compound?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  indy2000 
#1 ·
Anyone use this stuff for heat defense on their TFI? A buddy who builds computers recommended this over Arctic Silver. Any tips on applying it to TFI as well? Never had a problem, but I wanna protect against future issues. I realize relocating it would be best, however, I really don’t want to splice into the Holley EFI wiring harness. Thanks guys!

#3 ·
Thanks for response. That’s what I was thinking as well. A lot of people use the Arctic Silver for this application. A friend of mine suggested MX-4 over AS, for computer components. So I’ll give it a shot on my TFI. Essentially it’s the same goal we’re trying to accomplish. Cooling

#5 ·
The best way to do it is to go with the pea-method: just put a pea-sized amount of paste in the center of your CPU and then place the H100i on top of it. I did it that way and it cools great. With this method you ensure that it will be spreaded evenly when you push the H100i on it, and it won't get any air bubbles trapped under it when you use a different method like spreading it with a credit card. Also, dont worry about the paste not spreading entirely to the edges of the CPU, because most of the heat comes from the center.

Personally I wouldn't recommend using a vertical line. It could spread the paste over the top and bottom edges, and possibly get on your CPU pins. And because some brands of thermal paste are conductive, you really don't want the thermal paste going over the edges.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.