Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short my father passed away 2 years ago and my mother wants them out of the house, long long story.

She's in Georgia and I'm in Indiana near chicago. Do I need to ship to an FFL or can I just ship straight to me?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Has to go to an FFL. You will have to fill out a 4473 just as if you were buying them new.
Legally, yes. However, ahem, I have heard of people that have purchased products on Gunbroker over the years and have them shipped straight to their house. All of the listings say they must be shipped to FFL, but there are private sellers that don't always follow that. If they are currently registered and you don't mind paying for the transfers, I would ship to FFL. If they are not and you don't want them getting documented...

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has to go to an FFL. You will have to fill out a 4473 just as if you were buying them new.
Legally, yes. However, ahem, I have heard of people that have purchased products on Gunbroker over the years and have them shipped straight to their house. All of the listings say they must be shipped to FFL, but there are private sellers that don't always follow that. If they are currently registered and you don't mind paying for the transfers, I would ship to FFL. If they are not and you don't want them getting documented...
Not a spec of documentation.

Most are from the 40s-70s.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Road trip.

·
Registered
643 Posts
^^^I hear yah there. See we in NY are on the ragged edge (read up on the Safe Act if not familiar) and I guess I just wouldn't chance anything with the "climate" we are currently in as far as this topic goes. Just my .02

·
Registered
837 Posts
Road trip.
I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty spoon.
I'd be driving down there rusty spoon in the eye and all before doing paperwork on them... That is, if I was a gun owner.

Option 1a: Fly down, visit mom, buy a southern rust free hoop, drive it back, sell as southern rust free hoop and pay for the whole trip.

Got a trusted friend in the area that would hold on to them for a while?

You could play ignorant to the law, but that kind of puts mom in a spot... and its not something I would do.

If they do end up being shipped to you/your local FFL, DO NOT use the US Post Office. That in itself is a felony (and most likely to get lost - lol) Send it via Brown (UPS).

·
Registered
211 Posts
Not a spec of documentation.

Most are from the 40s-70s.
Sounds like they are "vintage" weapons and there are different clauses due to this being a transaction between family members, vintage, long guns vs handguns, etc. Hopefully you have a local friendly FFL that you could discuss this with. I am by no means a lawyer or knowledgable in such things. I have never sold one, always been the buyer. I am a law-abiding veteran and the 2nd amendment is very dear to my heart, but the less the government knows about my arsenal the better.

There is no way I would do an FFL transfer on weapons that used to belong to my father and have never been registerd due to their age. She would be assuming a risk, but due to her age and non-malicious intent, who would procecute in the unlikely scenario that she gets caught? Again, I know of at least a half-dozen times were items have been shipped house to house without issue.

BTW, I am sorry for your loss. My condolences to your family.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like they are "vintage" weapons and there are different clauses due to this being a transaction between family members, vintage, long guns vs handguns, etc. Hopefully you have a local friendly FFL that you could discuss this with. I am by no means a lawyer or knowledgable in such things. I have never sold one, always been the buyer. I am a law-abiding veteran and the 2nd amendment is very dear to my heart, but the less the government knows about my arsenal the better.

There is no way I would do an FFL transfer on weapons that used to belong to my father and have never been registerd due to their age. She would be assuming a risk, but due to her age and non-malicious intent, who would procecute in the unlikely scenario that she gets caught? Again, I know of at least a half-dozen times were items have been shipped house to house without issue.

BTW, I am sorry for your loss. My condolences to your family.
Thanks. Its a long story to how I'm at the point I am but watching family pick over things and sell or steal because someone owes them a living pisses me off.

The reason I don't care to drive down is I'm being shipped 8 not 16 vintage rifles because a family member stole/sold them. My mother will never do anything to prevent this and I'm not sure how "calm" i would be if I saw my sister in person at this stage. None are extremely valuable. He has a vintage browning humpback(auto-5), henry 45-70, two uberti colt SA replicas, missing and I'm not sure what else.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I hear you. I went through the same thing, luckily without the family issues. When someone dies, especially unexpectedly, you never know where they have things. You find hundred dollar bills stuffed in a shirt pocket in the closet or a gun stuffed under the mattress. We found a gun box, but it was empty and the gun was unaccounted for. We knew it had to be around somewhere and drove ourselves crazy trying to locate it, not because of value but just the liability associated with having something potentially dangerous laying around. My mom found it a year later stashed in his favorite recliner. lol

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Thanks. Its a long story to how I'm at the point I am but watching family pick over things and sell or steal because someone owes them a living pisses me off.

The reason I don't care to drive down is I'm being shipped 8 not 16 vintage rifles because a family member stole/sold them. My mother will never do anything to prevent this and I'm not sure how "calm" i would be if I saw my sister in person at this stage. None are extremely valuable. He has a vintage browning humpback(auto-5), henry 45-70, two uberti colt SA replicas, missing and I'm not sure what else.
my advice would be to bite the bullet and do the road trip. if you happen to see said sister, be the bigger person and just ignore her, even though you would want to go off on her.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Been there before. I was willed a nice coin collection, but once someone found out it existed they decided to take it for themselves and liquidate it and thought it was no big deal.

·
11,042 Posts
Long story short my father passed away 2 years ago and my mother wants them out of the house, long long story.

She's in Georgia and I'm in Indiana near chicago. Do I need to ship to an FFL or can I just ship straight to me?
Consult state and local laws. Even if some guy on the Corral says "ya, I did it" that might not apply to you.

... any chance you've got anything you could part with? PM me, and I'll find out how to legally send it to California... for academic purposes only, of course.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Consult state and local laws. Even if some guy on the Corral says "ya, I did it" that might not apply to you.

... any chance you've got anything you could part with? PM me, and I'll find out how to legally send it to California... for academic purposes only, of course.
I fully intend to but wasn't sure where to get started. It looks like I'll make the trip down doing an FFL transfer is 30 bucks per gun plus shipping. The problem is I just don't care to waste a day off to do this as I don't want to waste a day off dealing with retarded family issues anymore.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If the FFL is good, they will only charge you for one. You will only fill out one form with multiple guns (serial numbers) on it. They only do the one background check. In other words, other than literally writing down the additional serial numbers, it is the same work for one or ten.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If they are your fathers and you are inheriting them, why a ffl? If they are in a box and shipped who cares what is in the box? It's just a box even if they were from a stranger.

·
Registered
837 Posts
If they are your fathers and you are inheriting them, why a ffl? If they are in a box and shipped who cares what is in the box? It's just a box even if they were from a stranger.
Unless you get caught, then it is a Felony. Sure you could hope to not get caught... then if you do just play dumb and hope to lessen the legalities of it but why risk it to save $100?

The laws are strict. For instance, say you were to drop off a firearm at a local smith to have some work done... then, say your Father happens to be over on that side of town when it is ready to be picked up. Legally your father can not pick up that firearm for you with out having to fill out a 4473 simply because he is not the one that dropped it off. It has to remain in the same persons possession. Giving it to anyone else is changing possession of the firearm and the only way for them to know if that person can or can't legally possess a firearm is to run a 4473/NICS check.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts