Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Just curious if anyone is running a T5 5 speed in a road race application and what mods if any did they do and pros and cons or problems they encountered

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
144 Posts
Should be just fine as long as there's no powershifting.. Get a good shifter, since if you overthrow when shifting, it tends to bend the shift forks with the stock POS shifter..

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've been running them for over 10 years. Depending on your power level they should be just fine. Make sure you get a .82 5th gear!

·
Registered
657 Posts
I ran a 4cyl non-world class T5 behind my 408W for 2 years before a small nuclear explosion happened within. It's all about how you drive them. I replaced it with a G-Force T5 and stepped up my driving habbits a bit.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I use a T5 in my Mustang at the track. It's just a street car running on a road course and not an actual race. I have 305rwhp with a h/c/i package. I've had a Tremec II for two years, but the T5 has held up so no need to install it. Right now I use a Pro 5.0 shifter, but I've also used a B&M shifter.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I _had_ a T5 in there for several years, then added some power and tires before she went.

Replaced T5 with a TKO, and SIX TRACK DAYS LATER... oops!

Replaced it with a rebuilt TKO-II spec tranny. Been in there for a few years (knock on wood).

Drive it hard (but learned to shift smoothely) with 500rwhp:

·
Administrator
1,536 Posts
Been running a T5 for the past few years. Never had a problem.... knock on wood.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have been using a T5 for the last three years b/c TKO tailhousing seems to leak no matter what under high heat and stress. The only thing with the T5 is like everyone has stated NO POWERSHIFTING and if at all possible I try not to go into 5th. Depends on track but most of the time you can hold out 4th. When in 5th we have encountered lots of seizing up due to bent shift fork or shaft. Also depends on horsepower range and years of abuse on T5. You can get a refresher kit from Summit Racing for $249 and it is well worth the money if you can get a few years of racing out of a T5!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts