Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to use FFRP-M6675DRS302 pan on my new motor and was wondering if anyone has used it with a MM-kmember with the 1 inch set back on the motor.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I was hoping to set the motor back but I figured it would take mods to the pan to make it work. The other part I was wondering about is if it hangs to low since the rear sump so deep. I read a few places that said its fine but I guess we will find out.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I looked into this also. It also requires shortening the driveshaft and modifying the trans crossmember mount holes. And clearancing the trans tunnel. The headers may also not clear the firewall. After reviewing MM's instructions I'm thinking the oil pan may not work at all. In one of the pictures in the instructions of the k-member brace it looks as if it would not clear a deep sump oil pan even with the k-member brace spacers.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know there is benefit to moving the engine back but it sounds like its more work then its worth. Maybe one day I will try to make it work but for now I think the engine will stay where it is. I'm still going to use the FFRP pan heard it was the best for road racing and autocross so I'm going to give it a try with my new 347 I'm building.

·
Registered
184 Posts
That's good news that it's recommended for road racing. When are you doing the k-member install? Please post back how it goes. I won't get to mine for about a month..... And I can tell you that my 347 is FUN on the track.!

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The kmember is in the car already. I've had it for years I was one of the first to buy it when it came out. I was running a Canton road race pan on the car for a long time but had some oiling issues during braking and cornering especially during autocross when the course went down hill into an off camber. I want to make sure I make sure to do it right this time and from my research Jack with MM says its the best for road racing so I'm going to give it a shot. I'm in the same boat as you mine isn't going to be in the car for some time. I bought the new motor from Jim at fordstrokers in pieces so I still need to assemble it which I hope to start in the beginning of the year. You can see my build here in the members build section.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/member-build-up-projects/2395153-1992-lx-street-track-street-again-build.html

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I run shorty headers on my car so I don't have that problem would love to run long tube but they don't have smog legal ones. Do you have the kmember yet or still waiting on it? Does it look like the pan is going to hang down below the kmember?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I haven't ordered it yet. I'm planning on buying MM's 3/4" forward k-member kit with coilovers etc. I'm waiting for a response from their tech dept for spring rate recommendation etc. On my old UPR k-member the pan was below the k-member and there was plenty of room for headers etc. But the MM one looks quite different. If my headers don't clear I'm screwed. I've got the engine hanging from the headers now. Here's a pic before disassembly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I autocross the car I ran 325lb front springs when I road raced it I ran 425lb springs. The tires were 275/40 17 v710 kumho which were the best at the time. This was with a stock front sway bar. I'm planning on running the MM front sway bar this time which is not as stiff. If I had some good pictures of the header area on my car I would post them for you so you can take a look.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Ah. Yes. I've seen that thread. I just went to the garage and stared at my setup and now I'm more worried about the headers than the pan. At least the drivers side. The passenger side is fine.
Pan-to-K member clearance is all in the combination. If Jack H. says the FRPP pan will clear their K, then that's solid information.
I did a lot more fabrication than I wanted to just to get everything to fit in the car. The MM K brace won't clean my particular pan, so I'll be getting one made.
This pan should be fine with long tubes. The T-sump pans don't mix well with long tubes.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I had one of those pans in an SN95 with MM K-member. Had to space the two point brace even further than all of the spacers that came with it (iirc, an additional quarter inch or so). I also bought longer bolts so I had full thread engagement.

Very nice pan, looks good, and performed well. Does leave that brace hanging low though. Also, because the front of the pan is square, my stock sway bar wouldn't work, had to use a mod motor style of bar.

Jay

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had one of those pans in an SN95 with MM K-member. Had to space the two point brace even further than all of the spacers that came with it (iirc, an additional quarter inch or so). I also bought longer bolts so I had full thread engagement.

Very nice pan, looks good, and performed well. Does leave that brace hanging low though. Also, because the front of the pan is square, my stock sway bar wouldn't work, had to use a mod motor style of bar.

Jay
Good to know I was wondering if it would clear the k-member brace. I have the MM sway bar relocation kit with there front sway bar so hopefully it clears.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Good to know I was wondering if it would clear the k-member brace. I have the MM sway bar relocation kit with there front sway bar so hopefully it clears.
The stock swaybar on my fox fit without issues. I do use the MM relocation brackets on it though.

On my 95 I had to use a spacer under the stock brackets to clear. I use a stock swaybar on this car in stock location. I forget how thick a spacer I had to use.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have the canton road race pan and MM k-member. The pan clears the k-member brace by maybe half an inch, and that is with all the spacers MM includes. MM makes a brace designed to clear deep pans, but they don't list it as an option when you buy the k-member.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I have the canton road race pan and MM k-member. The pan clears the k-member brace by maybe half an inch, and that is with all the spacers MM includes. MM makes a brace designed to clear deep pans, but they don't list it as an option when you buy the k-member.

Where did you find this sir ? So this will allow people to run any deep sump pans without issues ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Thanks dude! But that’s for the modular/swapped engine k members. Unless it will fit with the ones intended for our cars ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts