Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have starting a new project/build. I recently picked up a 87 coupe with a 8 point cage, fabbed sub frame connectors and the full UPR rear suspension.

This weekend I sold the engine, trans and ecu in preparation for the build.

I am planning on running a fresh stock block 347 (8.5 comp) with TFS 190 heads, F Cam, Victor EFI, 42lb injectors, MegaSquirt, On3 70MP Turbo, and Redneck racing C4 w 3500 rpm stall.

For suspension l will be installing an AJE K with coil overs, Eibach drag springs in the rear and strange adj front and rear struts/shocks. I have a 8.8 rear with 3.27 gears and will be running BFG 275/60/15 dr's and skinnies.

I ran almost this same combo on my 92 w a 9.5 to 1 compression 331, same heads, cam, turbo and broke the block with 4.5psi @497 rwhp.

I am planning on keeping the boost down and the tune conservative on the 347 in the hope that it will live a while longer than the 331 did.

I am considering running the turbo kit with out the IC. I doubt its doing much at 4.5psi and it would eliminate some weight over the nose and I avoid having to butcher the bumper cover.

I know I'll need to have someone fab a discharge pipe with a mount for the WG. Would I need to make any other modifications to the kit to run it with no IC?

Will I be able to run 5-7psi with no IC?

I know I could do it on E85 but dont want to upgrade the factory fuel tank or lines. I am running an intank 255 pump and have a T Rex on the shelf JIC. I suppose I could try to run e85 with a set of 60lb injectors and the stock lines/255 pump and the T rex.

Anyone else running a turbo with no IC?

My goal is to be able to drive this car to the track on pump gas, rip of a 10.5 and drive it home with the AC on.

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
with less than 8psi i would run at least 9.5:1 compression. As far as running 10.5 ET on pump gas with no intercooler and 6-8psi....idk about that. But run e85 with 10.5:1 compression and I would say its totally doable

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
U can do it but it's not worth putting money into a good setup to risk detonation and another broken motor. Just takes one tank of bad gas.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
As long as it is atleast 70% ethanol (winter blend) u will be safe on e85. It is highly resistant to knock, detonation and heat. I will be running no IC and e85. I have datalogs from last summer/fall (e85 w/ IC) to compare so when I get it back together in a week or so I will let u know the difference.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
he said he didnt want to upgrade to run e85?

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Doh! Hooked on phonics didn't work for me. I'll try my baba can read now...lol!

I would upgrade to e85.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to clarify, I don't want to spend a grand to upgrade my fuel system so I can make 500 rwhp on E85. With my limited math skills I calculated I could probably run up to 400rwhp on E85 with the stock lines/tank/rails. Does that sound about right?

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Get some 94-95 rails, run twist-tite fuel line, muscle motors 340lph pump and 80lb injectors.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I wouldn't run without a intercooler after having my turbo blow up. It made a great filter!

·
Registered
806 Posts
You could do it the old fashion way and go water methanol injection. Either go with a 50/50 mix or 100% water. You can make your own water methanol for about $15.
:salute:

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the suggestions. I went ahead and installed the IC. I'll upgrade to E85 after I break this stock block and upgrade to an aftermarket block. I was able to mount the IC keeping the AC wo butchering the bumper cover. I only had to remove two very small pieces of urethane, trimmed the headlight bucket, trimmed the back of the parking light lenses and the white inner bumper.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Why wait to go e85...that sounds foolish to me. E85 is the BEST insurance u have. Ur $ ur Car. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why wait to go e85...that sounds foolish to me. E85 is the BEST insurance u have. Ur $ ur Car. Good luck.
Don't have the extra dough to spend on bigger injectors and a fuel system. I am going to run 4.5psi for now while I get the suspension set up. I am still researching the E85 swap and will likely make the swap soon.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
How big of injectors and fuel pump do u have now?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How big of injectors and fuel pump do u have now?
42lb inj
255 intake
stock lines/rails

I do have a nib trex booster pump that I could install or sell

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Or just build an n/a 347 that runs 10.5 ..................

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
42lb inj
255 intake
stock lines/rails

I do have a nib trex booster pump that I could install or sell
With 48s, stock lines and intank with inline pumps I was able to use e85 up to 12lbs. My duty cycles were in the 90s, but it still worked. That was with f-cam, 1972 351 DOOE heads, Systemax 1 lower/Cartech box upper.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Or just build an n/a 347 that runs 10.5 ..................
That was an option but as I mentioned in the original post I have the following parts left over from a previous build:

stock block 347 (8.5 comp) with TFS 190 heads, F Cam, Victor EFI, 42lb injectors, MegaSquirt, On3 70MP Turbo, and Redneck racing C4 w 3500 rpm stall (built for the turbo combo)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
With 48s, stock lines and intank with inline pumps I was able to use e85 up to 12lbs. My duty cycles were in the 90s, but it still worked. That was with f-cam, 1972 351 DOOE heads, Systemax 1 lower/Cartech box upper.
What rwhp/tq did it make at 12psi?

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Never dyno'd didn't care....I can tell u what cars aren't worth racing though lol. As long as my AFR was dead on that's all I cared about.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts