Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading a bunch on the 6 speed conversion. Anyone done it? What gears are you running and how do you like it.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
On what kind of car? Actually many are. Most are satisfied with the 2.97 first gear model available to us. I believe most Cobra Owners are running 4.10's, 4.30's, and a few 4.56. These rear ratios work well with the .62 6th gear for cruising.

According to a source I won't name, the 2.66 first gear model for the 03 Cobra is a special "made for Ford" T56, and is not as strong as the standard T56, like the one in the 2000 R.

For those needing a T56 to handle high TQ, the Viper model with it's .5 6th is available for the 5.0 crowd now from D&D, and that model will be availavle before long for modular cars from D&D.

·
Corral Charter Member
2,594 Posts
According to a source I won't name, the 2.66 first gear model for the 03 Cobra is a special "made for Ford" T56, and is not as strong as the standard T56, like the one in the 2000 R.
Oh great, so we finally get a 6 speed and Ford decides to save a few bucks and get a cheap one. Idiots.

At least the "good" one will be a direct bolt-in replacement.

·
Registered
952 Posts
what do u guys think the effect of the cobra getting a 6 speed will be? do u think it will be easier to retrofit it to those of us that have t-45s? i was wondering because it would make sense that ford does the work R&D'ing the parts, and puts out the app. bellhousings and other misc. parts necessary. do u think that the price of the unit itself will come down at all?

gino

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I would like to have a T56. However, for the cost of a T56, mounting kit, driveshaft, shift kit, knob, I could buy 3 replacement T45's. And, I don't really think the ratios are a real (or much anyway) improvement for my use. Other than those reasons, I would already have one. And...I haven't broken my old T45 yet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, I should have said an '02 GT. I plan on driving alot on the highway and thought with a steep gear that the six speed would be a nice addition. Will a T-56 handle more horsepower than a T-45? I thought I read somewhere they can handle 400-425 lbs. of torque. What can a T-45 handle?

Ralph, how do you like dealing with SHM motorsports? Were you satisfied with the results/work?

Thanks, Moose

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
T-56 here..with 4.56 gears.It is a bolt in swap.I could not find the ttc site but..The T-45 was rated about 280-300 ft.lb and the T-56 was 450.D+D Performance provided the parts and first class service.I really like the trans..It's smooth and quiet and it's nice to drive to the track..run 11's and drive home on the freeway at 80 mph..Al

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I have a T-56 in my GT. i absolutely love it. i run 4.10 gears. I paid Just about $3000 for everything from D&D. I got the tranny/bellhousing, crossmember kit, dual friction clutch and pressure plate from D&D. Also i had the DS shortened about $70 and i bought a Steeda Tri-Ax. The T-56 is alot smooter feeling and quieter than the T-45. It also takes a beating. Awsome on the higway as well. 5th gear is like having a 2nd 4th gear. Its fun! :D

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
moose1320 said:
Sorry, I should have said an '02 GT. I plan on driving alot on the highway and thought with a steep gear that the six speed would be a nice addition. Will a T-56 handle more horsepower than a T-45? I thought I read somewhere they can handle 400-425 lbs. of torque. What can a T-45 handle?

Ralph, how do you like dealing with SHM motorsports? Were you satisfied with the results/work?

Thanks, Moose
[/QUOTE

I have been more than satisfied with my SHM engine. However, I bought it a couple years ago, before there were many other choices. If I were in need of a new engine today, I doubt if I would find the need to go that far North to find a new engine.

The T56's are very nice transmissions IMHO. However, I believe the TQ rating for our T45 is 325-350, and as Boss330 said the TQ rating for the modular T56 is in the 450 range. However, the Tremic reps have told me, these transmissions are regularly tested considerably above those ratings. T45's don't usually break from hi TQ.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have one.......but its on my z28.....and it is bullet proof

hey moose I see youve switched to Ford......Im still in transition, but cut me some slack cause I now have a vert gt and the z....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts