961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sick of dealing with tuners, wana get this thing running right on my own

stock shortblock
ported tw 170s
tfsr lower box upper
stock cam 1.7s
11ish psi on3 70mm

was gona try locking it out at 22 degrees, good place to start? Car gets DD duty 7 days a week too.. just throwin that out there

Runs perfect driveability wise untuned, just falls on its face wot, think my alt was on its way out+too much timing+too much plug gap

thanks for any info or ideas

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I have a supercharger but i run mine locked at 21 degrees and run a Stage 2 meth kit...and my car is still speed density runs great!!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I guess I didn't realize you could get away with that much timing on these cars I always ran 15-18 at wot on my lsX vehicles

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
why exactly does it make the car run hotter?
Im thinking because the timing is always advaned?...not set at an intial timing say 10 degrees then advances,as you speed up...I ran my car locked without the water meth kit under boost it ran hot but now i have the meth kit it runs like i dont even have boost...in others words runs like 170-180 degrees...Hope this helps...I want to do a tune someday but for now it seems to run just fine..Can i get more out of a tune sure...but this is set the way to me seems to run great....no pinging,alot of power and cheap...lol....

·
Registered
459 Posts
Sick of dealing with tuners, wana get this thing running right on my own

stock shortblock
ported tw 170s
tfsr lower box upper
stock cam 1.7s
11ish psi on3 70mm

was gona try locking it out at 22 degrees, good place to start? Car gets DD duty 7 days a week too.. just throwin that out there

Runs perfect driveability wise untuned, just falls on its face wot, think my alt was on its way out+too much timing+too much plug gap

thanks for any info or ideas

I'm right there with you....i think we used the same tuner and have the same problem..

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
How much boost is your setup? Do you run on pump gas?
I run 10 psi on 93 octane with my timing locked at 21 degrees I also have a snow performance stage 2 meth kit...That helps alot....

·
Registered
575 Posts
I've been running 10# boost on pump gas with timing locked out @ 18 degrees for 8 years and over 25k miles street driven. No problems, I don't care if I make any more rwhp or torque than my sig says.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I've been running 10# boost on pump gas with timing locked out @ 18 degrees for 8 years and over 25k miles street driven. No problems, I don't care if I make any more rwhp or torque than my sig says.
Thats what im talking about...What fuel injectors and pump do you run?...

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Depending on what quality of race fuel, but if u have e85 in ur neck ot the woods it performs better than race fuel.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I wonder how much timing I could run if I ran straight race fuel. Anyone know?
I have a snow perfomance stage 2 meth kit..from what im told when running a 50/50 mix of meth and water its like c16 race gas..

I can tell you this..before i had it the car under boost would run really HOT and Ping bad!!! Now under full boost i can run it all day and temp runs cold...so i know its working....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts