Ford Mustang Forums banner

Anyone run BFG Drag radials on their road racer?

782 views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Fast92Coupe 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a set of BFG G-force drag radials in 295/35/18 for the rear of my stang. I was wondering what the lateral handling ability of these tires would be. Anyone run these?

#4 ·
Yes, but the 555R is not a BFG. In the 17" size, the Nitto has a much stiffer side wall. Two seasons ago I used a 555RII front tire and 555R rear tire for autox. It was a pretty good combo. The 555R is a good tire for autox, but for open track I still think it is a little mushy. I tried that combo at Lime Rock and found it worked ok, but I was just a novice back then and really didn't put too much heat or stress into the tires.

#5 ·
So you're going to have this high traction tire in the rear and what in the front? Sounds like understeer to me.....

#7 ·
Toys said:
So you're going to have this high traction tire in the rear and what in the front? Sounds like understeer to me.....
I'm running Falken Z-rated in the front. I can live with the understeer, truth be told its a street car. Just wondering if these tires have any proven handling ability (aired up of course). I want to know wether it will be safe to push them (lateraly) on the street, or should I just treat them like a bias drag slick.

#9 ·
It's not really about grip and handling with DRs and road courses. It's about the sidewalls. Tires with soft sidewalls tend to roll over onto their sidewalls under the extreme cornering conditions of open track and auto-x. That's not a good thing. It happens mostly with the front tires. I've never heard of the rear tires on a Mustang rolling over but I guess anything is possible.

If you're pushing hard enough to roll your tires over on the street, I'm glad I don't live in your neighborhood.

#14 ·
I was one of those racing with 555R's 3-4 years ago they were way better than most "street" tires. I think you'll be OK because they are the "G-Force" variety with only a 35 series sidewall. Besides I see a lot of Z-06's with those tires and I'm sure they don't slow down for offramps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.