Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a quick search and didn't find much. I realize there is a weigh and stiffness sacrifice. I think the stiffness can be resolved. I am curious what people have done and if it was successful.

I am considering a convertible with an IRS rear and MM front and am wondering if I could make it decent for auto xing. I would prefer not to do a full cage as I'd like to be able to take my kids out in it on occasion. The kids would enjoy the convertible.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
I have an 86 'Vert set up for CAM-T and O/T driving events - not road racing. If you open track SCCA/NASA/etc. HPDE events, you are required to have at least a 4-point bar (check the rules for specs). Autocross rules don't require a bar but the 4-point does make a huge stiffening difference - more so than the typical MM SFCs, STB, etc. The bar can be removable so long as the four anchor points and fasteners meet specs. Mine is a custom and removable - takes about 10 minutes to remove; a little longer to install due to fastener alignment (the top down makes this a piece of cake). Although my bar is padded per specs, rear passengers with the bar in is not recommended. I've hit mine with a helmet on and despite the padding, it hurt. A non-helmeted child's head would suffer. I also found taking the thing in an out became a hassle; so I leave it in now.

With the above said, I like the vert. It's fun and verts are rather unique for these venues (excluding Miatas). But it is not a serious contender so I left all of the creature comforts in - air, stereo/w subs, power steering/brakes, sound deadening and nice Recaro seats.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Go for it. I have AutoX's for years with top down and love it. When I was Road Racing AI we had a guy in CMC with Foxbody Vert, a course full rollcage, but I always love his car and he did well. He was from Texas and moved to S.Ca.
Bar not required for AX. I have a friend with SN95 Cobra Vert and he does well with top down, said it balances the rear weight and helps the handling. If you don't have passengers, put a rollbar in and do both, AX and Open Trk, but with your kids do what GTRacer said.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have seen it done. Guy had a cage. If you run with the top down you might want to get some hand straps to keep your hands inboard if you roll or whathaveyou.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Todd Covini use to run one in American Iron.
Todd is who I was thinking about above. Loved his set-up. He did CMC and I did AI. Raced with him when he moved West, super nice guy. Became our West CMC/AI Director (NASA).
OP...only problem is being within the heat (sun)...you can do tho, Todd did Texas and Cal heat and lived...LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts