Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post up the mods etc. These cars have a ton of potential.
Anyone running a turbo out there?
Erich

·
Registered
13 Posts
My plan is to purchase a new 8.8 with trac lok and 3.55 gears from new take out. Then change the trans over to the Tremec Magnum XL 6 speed and a one piece aluminum drive shaft. Not looking to go quicker, (been there) just want what I want. I'm building a new NA 396" LSX motor in the mean time. My 2012 is the most fun car I've had in a long time.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought the sixes already had traction lock and an 8.8. Just for the gears?
Erich

·
Registered
13 Posts
Eric, it has an 8.8 but I've yet to determine if it has a tac-lok. THAT is the reason I bought it though. I'm old school and the Camaro independant was intolerable. I retired from GM, but this 2012 Mustang is the most fun car I've owned. I see the Camaro V6 now has a 100HP spray system available. That took 3 years. The Fords are more friendly to mods. At $999 for a complete differential with gear and trac-lok I can justify it rather than rebuild mine. The Magnum XL trans is my dream. With 3.55 gear and 2 overdrives. Might be looking at 35 miles per gallon ! and no reductions in performance. After I optimize the drive train I'll decide on what to do under the hood. This V6 is one impressive little motor. I remember when the Chevy NOVA came out with a 350 inch 295 horse engine. My mustang would kill that car today. Not to mention the 31 miles per gallon. Technology. I'd like to see FORD help with some 30-40 horsepower mods to get us up to 350HP without killing stock driveline components. After that you'll tear it up. Don't go there.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Eric, it has an 8.8 but I've yet to determine if it has a tac-lok. THAT is the reason I bought it though. I'm old school and the Camaro independant was intolerable. I retired from GM, but this 2012 Mustang is the most fun car I've owned. I see the Camaro V6 now has a 100HP spray system available. That took 3 years. The Fords are more friendly to mods. At $999 for a complete differential with gear and trac-lok I can justify it rather than rebuild mine. The Magnum XL trans is my dream. With 3.55 gear and 2 overdrives. Might be looking at 35 miles per gallon ! and no reductions in performance. After I optimize the drive train I'll decide on what to do under the hood. This V6 is one impressive little motor. I remember when the Chevy NOVA came out with a 350 inch 295 horse engine. My mustang would kill that car today. Not to mention the 31 miles per gallon. Technology. I'd like to see FORD help with some 30-40 horsepower mods to get us up to 350HP without killing stock driveline components. After that you'll tear it up. Don't go there.
My understanding is that the drivetrain is the same as the 5.0 cars. So there should be no problems going to 400+ hp.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2012 3.7 auto. I have 3.73 gears, CAI, and a bama tune. the mods have really woken the car up. I need to get an aluminum drive shaft soon but I really want to spend the money on headers and exhaust...American Muscle says that the drive shaft will be in stock at the end of the month. Im having a hard time waiting. :curses:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Aluminum d/s

Have you looked at Lethal Performance? They offer a couple d/s for our v6.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got a V6 Mustang in December brand new for 19k. I so love this car. Did the 3.73 gears cause any kind of whine or additional noise when slowing down or accelerating?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts