Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done this, I have a 98 Cobra and I want to do this rather then spend $400 on a new set..Anything I should know before I do it...DA Snake boy!!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Worked good for me, took everything apart and use steel epoxy (high temp) two part epoxy that comes in a hotdog shaped cake. Slice a piece off like a slice of bread and kneed it together. Fill the holes fast and smooth. Finger sand the ports and your finished. Get new gaskets @$8

98toplesscobra

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hmnnnnn......

I guess that would be what you call a "FREE MOD". I went ahead and bought the pair of IMRC's from FORD and new gaskets. I believe that they are only 179.00 from FORD. Be sure and plug the elec. control box back in or it will not run right.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sell your old IMRC on ebay.....if you chip/tune your car change the open state of the IMRC above your RPM limit +7500 and you'll never have a check engine light. Does Ford still sell them? I know PHP has the for $$$$$.

98toplesscobra

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yes Sir...

Thats what we did on the custom Superchip that we put in. And I have never had a Check Engine light come on. 'H'

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx for all your replies, Ill need to get hold of Shaun and ask him about the IMRC accuator setting, and have it modified in my chip to trigger above 7500 rpm..Thanx for mentioning that issue..DA Snake Boy!!!

·
Registered
684 Posts
Wouldn't you want to delete the IMRC Controller box altogether? That way you won't have to worry about tricking the computer with springs.

Also why have the IMRC actuation set to 7500 rpms or more? Then the computer will think the IMRC's never open and you are stuck with the timing tables in closed operation?

From what I have read, you should set the IMRC actuation point at 0 rpm and then add the timing back throughout the rpm range.

Later, Jason

O

·
0 Posts
Duane
I have the ford deletes. Get rid of the contollers all together and we tune around it like mine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well, I have done it. I took the IMRC plates off and plug up all the holes in them with epoxy(same way someone described in earlier post). Instead of rigging some spring. I left the control box out completely. My tuner(inject tech) simply turned the IMRC control off in the chip(same can be done in autologic); he then added the 8 degrees of timing the car adds when IMRC opens to the rest of the timing curve. It was done rather painless. My car has not seen the check engine light at all and no codes on the scanner neither.

The whole thing took me roughly 2-3 days(including porting the manifold and modifying the runners). Feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts