Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on a Fox? I thought I saw where one of the bigger turbo companies made a Y pipe section to go from their downpipe to flowtubes of a catback. I tried to contact them, no answer. I have a BG kit and would love to keep the Dynomax catback on my LX. I know I could have a shop make the Y, but something made by the kit manufacturer would likely be better.

·
Registered
747 Posts
ya i asked Brian (owner of BG) a few years ago about it when MMFF did their build and he said do to innsurence reasons or something like that. but he said a muffler shop should be able to build it and install it for under $150. i might go that route after a few seasons with the stright pipe.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Pony Down's Y pipe will bolt up to the B&G downpipe. Jeff makes 3.5" and 3" y-pipes. Pony Down uses B&G's old jigs for many of their parts, and I'm pretty sure the DP designs are identical for the most part.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well maybe Ponydown can make a custom Y. I'd need 3.5" in to 2.5" outlets, which they don't show on their website. I'll give them a ring and see where that gets me. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
There is a 3.5" to dual 2.5" listed on his site. He only has it listed as one of the options under the stage 3 single turbo kit. All the way on the bottom. It's $274.99.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Buy a flowmaster 3-1/2 to (2) 2-1/2 Y and take it to the muffler shop and have them tie it into the stock catback location.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Yeah, the cost is going to be a bit more than $150 when you factor in parts and labor. I think i am in that in just parts minus the magnaflow 3.5" slim cat that i added which was over 100 IIRC.

Basically you need:

4 x 45 degree 2.5" bends of tubing (columbia mandrel bending was close for me)
1x 3.5 to dual 2.5" y pipe (flowmaster)
2x ball sockets (flowmaster ball socket kit x 1)
probably a bit of 3.5" straight tube.

I have a pic on the bottom of page two of the mock up with these parts on my build page on the 94-95 forum if you want to see what it looks like.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a BG kit for the fox. I had called brian and he had shipped me a Y pipe he had in stock but it ran me 300. little expensive but it fit like a glove. exceptional peice!

·
Registered
997 Posts
I bought the flowmaster Y pipe and hacked up an old 2.5" shorty h pipe. the ball and socket flanges are really expensive to buy separetely

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
chrysler has been keeping jeff @ ponydown really busy lately. best turbo guy ive EVER dealt with imoh. not sure why he hasant answered though. ill talk to him.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I noticed Ponydown has a 3 1/2" to dual 3" Y. I have to change the turbo mufflers in my catback anyway, so I thought about maybe going 3" for the catback. Doesn't look like Dynomax or Magnaflow make a kit (although it looks like Magnaflow has one in the works according to their site). I saw Dr Gas has 3" flowtubes, and I can get a 3" Dynomax ultraflo welded, just not sure on the tails. I really don't like how the Flowmaster 3" tails look. Otoh, a 3" catback may be overkill for an h/c/i 306 shotting for ~500rwhp.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts