Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a 91 bronco in immaculate shape for a REALLY good price but the issue is the transmission is toast.

Anyone know the interchange on these things? As in will a 2wd unit work in a 4wd car if you pull off the tail housing or does it have to be a 4wd unit?

Any other issues?

·
Registered
445 Posts
If the E4OD is anything like the C6 (and it should be), you may just want to find a 4WD E4OD.

In the case of the C6, the output shafts are different on the 2WD trans...the output shafts are interchangeable but are held in by a C-clip which requires you to tear down the entire trans...might as well rebuild your E4OD at that point.

You could convert to 2WD but that would require a custom driveshaft...you could reuse your companion flange but you would need a slip yoke...this would probably cost you about $500.

I would find a used 4WD E4OD or rebuild yours. You will probably want to replace/rebuild your torque converter while you are in there as they are a wear item.

·
Corral Charter Member
11,141 Posts
When you say the trans is toast - exactly what is wrong with it?

Are you sure you're dealing with an E4OD and NOT an AODE? The Broncos (and other Ford trucks) used the AODE early on, and I *think, if memory serves right*, the E4OD came into play around 1992, for the major redesign of the Bronco and F-Series.

Most folks don't know, but on the driver side of the trans, if in fact an E4OD, there is a large sensor called the MLPS sensor. It's going to be either gray or black, depending on vehicle year and build time frame.

When the sensor craps out, it causes the transmission to experience missed shifts, lagging shifts, hard shifts or any other variety of shifting/non-shifting issues.

Also to note - most transmission shops WON'T tell owners a $60 sensor is bad when they can tell the owner "yea, you need a $2500.00 transmission repair", when all it really could have been was the sensor.... that's the FACTS.

Don't pay the "Ford" price for the part ($80-$100)- you can source them out online for about 1/2 price of the Ford price ($50-$60). I believe Dorman sells a replacement.

Replacement is easy - disconnect the harness to the sensor, disconnect the shift lever, unscrew sensor from the trans and replace with new in reverse fashion.

BE CAREFUL - some MLPS sensors may require pin/wire swaps of the harness connector - again not hard to do, but BE SURE to follow all directions that comes with the sensor - not all are just plug-n-play!!

For further info on the MLPS:
1994 Bronco E4OD MLPS Replacement - Ford Bronco Forum

---

2 other items to also check:
1) neutral safety switch
2) correct installation and setting of the auto trans cable to engine throttle body

---

Been there, done that - being previous owner of an 87 and 94 Bronco. I'm still a member over on FSB too, and have a lot of tech related posts there too (same user ID as here). When in doubt, hit up the FSB site, you'll have more luck going directly to the source site for a Bronco.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts