Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight at the strip I noticed that when I would shift, the car would make a louder than normal "bang" noise in the rear suspension area.
Took a quick glance and didn't notice anything obvious. On the next pass, the car didn't 60ft worth a sh*t (1.89) and was way loose coming out of the hole.
Last run, as soon as I dumped the clutch, I heard this god awful grinding/scraping noise so I let off and the car was wandering all the way down the track. Pulled over on the return road and as soon as I got out of the car I noticed that the driverside rear tire was inward about 1-2"
Limped the car back to the pits (first time I have ever actually done the 5 mph speed limit up the return road) jack up the rear and found that the upper control arm had broken and pulled through the "eye" on the rear housing bringing the bushing out with it. But at least it still got a 1.66 60ft ;)
Is this common? The rear suspension is stock.

Just wondering

Brian

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
TheBrain said:
Tonight at the strip I noticed that when I would shift, the car would make a louder than normal "bang" noise in the rear suspension area.
Took a quick glance and didn't notice anything obvious. On the next pass, the car didn't 60ft worth a sh*t (1.89) and was way loose coming out of the hole.
Last run, as soon as I dumped the clutch, I heard this god awful grinding/scraping noise so I let off and the car was wandering all the way down the track. Pulled over on the return road and as soon as I got out of the car I noticed that the driverside rear tire was inward about 1-2"
Limped the car back to the pits (first time I have ever actually done the 5 mph speed limit up the return road) jack up the rear and found that the upper control arm had broken and pulled through the "eye" on the rear housing bringing the bushing out with it. But at least it still got a 1.66 60ft ;)
Is this common? The rear suspension is stock.

Just wondering

Brian
when you say stock, do you mean stock type or the actual stock control arms? if the original arms are in place then yes, i have seen others break them. they flex with stock horsepower so, i would imagine any increase in power would lead to some sort of breakage down the road. 5.0roy

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: Anyone here ever break an upper control arm , or am I the first?

5.0roy said:
when you say stock, do you mean stock type or the actual stock control arms? if the original arms are in place then yes, i have seen others break them. they flex with stock horsepower so, i would imagine any increase in power would lead to some sort of breakage down the road. 5.0roy
Yes, I mean the actual stock factory installed arms.
Looks like it's time to upgrade :D

Brian

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I imagine at your 4500# raceweight the stock stamped anything would be about ready to break no? :evil:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
93-ex-chp said:
I imagine at your 4500# raceweight the stock stamped anything would be about ready to break no? :evil:
Hey Joe...............:p

·
Registered
716 Posts
I ripped my drivers side upper. It tore through the bushing on the body side. I thought I was the only one........ I am in the process of putting on adjustable uppers to go with my solid lowers. Everybody says the torque boxes wont last but a pass or two.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I cleany RIPPED the whole Pass Uppeer torque box off the car. Then a month later IDestroyed a Ground Pounder Lower control arm BENT IT in a 90 degree angle, They were nice by sending me 2 new lower control arms needless to say the DID NOT GO ON THE CAR.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts