Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting to get a harness since I started open tracking my car and couldn't decide what to do because I dont currently have a roll bar. I was highly considering the CG Lock that was recommended to me by many people but a friend of mine just sold me a pair of Sparco bolt-in harnesses. I haven't installed them yet but he said they bolt into the stockk seat belt locations. Basically the lap belt bolts to the seat belt's front monting points and the shoulder straps mount to the rear seat belt's two mounting points. I figured this will do the job until I can get a roll bar and real harness.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of harness? Pros/cons? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I believe the shoulder harness is not to exceed 20* from the shoulders to mounting point. Mounting them to the rear seat belts would definitely be more than that. In the unfortunate event of a wreck, and the car becomes an accordion (between you and mounting points of the harness) your upper body is no longer going to be held against the seat.

That happened to a Mini driver at Willow Springs a few years ago. He died in the crash.

I Googled but couldn't find any pix. Just lots of forums talking about it. I wouldn't run a harness without a rollbar/cage

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, I never thought of it that way...that really puts a damper on my installation. I may just have to get my money back. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Also, a 4-point set up does not offer any submarine protection either.

·
Registered
855 Posts
^What kind of seat is that?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Ultrashield Pro Road Race seat. I got a hell of a good deal on it last year from a friend. My passenger seat, not pictured, is an Ultrashield Rally Sport that I got a great deal on from Dave of Solotime. I added one inch foam padding to the Pro before driving my car from Texas to Boston last year and my back felt fine (just needed a bit more butt padding). IIRC, the Pro is a 16" 10* and the Rally Sport is 17" 20*. The 16" is a bit tight on me (I'm getting a bit chunky, 37" waist). Both are mounted on the stock sliders, which isn't ideal but I made it work. The 10* angle works best with the stock sliders.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The seat looks like a Kirkey aluminum. EDIT: The answer came up at I was typing, please ignore

Anyways, at first, I thought you were talking about those ricer ones that use the rear latches. Most 4pt harness are just for looks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts