Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not talking the typical crap like k member, fiberglass hood, seats, spare tire, sound deadener etc. Im talking creative weight loss ideas. Lets hear them

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
~ Cut the roof off
~ No widows
~ Remove drivers seat
~ Start with a Coupe and not a hatch
~ Drain all fluids

Theres lots of thing to do!...Just gotta be creative :D

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
carbon fiber bumper cover, dash,etc...tubular front and rear bumper supports....aerospace brakes...

·
Registered
186 Posts
lightweight battery
lightweight fuel lines (pegasus) or move a smaller fuel cell to the front
check out what BMW is doing http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/11-14-2005-81319.asp
cylinder block made from a magnesium outer shell and an aluminum core.
carbon fiber roof skin
replace the inner door handles with a cable system
self illuminating gauges. no bulbs or wiring,
Paint - Use water based paint. Jerry Sievers-Paint N- Place says he saves approximately 1/3 of weight on his funny cars painting for the pros (John Force, Del Worsham), by using water based paint and decals – lighter colors (white) without pigment are the lightest.
any unsprung weight has a 1 to 8 factor to what you carry. One pound unsprung is equal to 8lbs of sprung weight.
aluminum valve stems, no tubes,Titanium or Aluminum Lug Nuts,.125" wall Chrome Moly axle tubes

when you say "advanced" weight loss that usually means expensive. lol

·
Registered
399 Posts
I don't know what you want us to tell you.

If you don't want to hear all the 'typical crap' then you have to take an atypical approach.

Take apart the whole car. Look at every single piece. Every bracket, tab, bolt, hose, wire, plastic piece, etc... Ask yourself: Can I live without this? -or- Can I make this piece lighter? -or- Can I fabricate a new one that's lighter? -or- Can I buy something similar that's lighter?

Ultimately what you end up doing will depend on what you're willing to do to the car and live with on the street if street driven.

You can start by removing your ground effects, moldings, and mirrors.
Atypical answers that are probably not acceptable.

Sorry, not trying to be an ahole, but seriously once you do the normal stuff, (search is your friend) you have to get creative and/or open the wallet.

For example. I could saw off the front of the car and make a full tubular front subframe. I KNOW it would be lighter, but not very practical.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts