Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an lx and I hear there is not a lot of room in there for intercooler. I have a 16" spal fan and wanted to know if there is room for fan before radiator. I have no a/c but I do have an auto. I would like have it intercooler ,trans cooler then 16" fan on manual switch then radiator then another electric fan in front of radiator. If anyone has done it please take pics or if someone has fan in front of intercooler..

Thanks

·
Registered
563 Posts
I do not, I have also heard not to run 2 fans (one pusher and one puller) like that because they will fight one another and cause more overheating issues. But I as said I have not tried it myself.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Also I would suggest to get rid of the 1 16 inch fan and put a Mark 8 fan on it. You would then never have any overheating issues (due to lac of fan).

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cooling is not the issue now. I'm just thinking for future use. I have heard the mark 8 fan pulls a lot of air but I am not sure if it pulls more then a spal 16" this thing moves serious air. I have the straight blade version and it cools car down quickly

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
You should be ok with one fan. I'm no scientist, but I'd think with one pushing, one pulling, the pusher could actually slow the natural airflow gained with speed. I like the design of a healthy puller setup. My car has an old Black magic kit and nice radiator and it's cool as ice.

·
Registered
311 Posts
i run 2 16" spal fans on my car. They are offset to each side with minimal overlap. The setup works great for me.

·
Registered
4,970 Posts
I measured a few car fans and reached the conclusion:

Most fans are not what is claimed in advertising or Internet.
Some low-advertised fans move far more air than fans advertised or assumed to be larger.

Much of how things work depend on how air is routed and how fans are installed.

Adding a second fan in front or behind can help flow substantially, more than sum of the parts. It could also hurt if the fans are incorrect compliments or the air isn't routed properly, but unless you have a low air flow fan teamed with a high air flow fan, a second assist fan will generally help.

Right now in my LX starting from nose (bumper removed) and going back toward engine, I have:

Trans cooler (large) 15" x 20" x 1.3" maybe
VW Golf or Jetta radiator for intercooler water
Engine Radiator
Home made shroud and large single puller fan

I could not reasonably fit an air-to-air IC up front, but I could add a thin fan. I don't think an additional fan would help me much, but measurements have shown I need more air opening and better pressure control up front in the Mustang OEM air inlets. I have plenty of air stopped, but not enough flow assist from nose pressure when cruising.

·
Registered
311 Posts
How? Pics?
here you go. This setup works excellent for me. std water pump and motorsports radiator.
fans must run all the time but they are great fans.

Spal 30102049 16" Curved Blade Performance Fan

Spal 30102048 16" Curved Blade Pusher Fan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts