Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just noticed my car smoking. started looking around and found an oil leak @ the turbos oil drain. so i took that side down to tighten things up and saw some oil in the downpipe, looked at the exhaust side of turbo and had a small amout in there too. what the hell is goin on here?

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
if you just fired them up for the first time run it for a little
maybe they got oil on them when they tested them. Use a
oil restrictor too. I pushed oil with mine for the first start up before
i put a oil restrictor in it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
What size feed and drain line. Does the drain have a low spot in it? I would look into the drain line seen this happen several times before. What oil pump?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
got the on3 kit. no oil restrictor, factory oil pump. drain is exactly vertical and made sure the turbo was well primed before it was ran.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok after sending pics back and forth with on3 performance they have come to the conclusion it is the oil drain line not having enough fall. I have rerouted it 3 times with no change in the leak, i mean the engine dont even have time to get warm before the oil starts leaking out. im starting to think this is just a bad turbo from the start.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
update...... installed oil restrictor same issue. junky ass vbands. contacted on3 got a rebuild kit. not impressed. also not optimistic

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update!! went back and forth with on3, ordered a rebuild kit. after alot of research and diagrams got into the turbo itself. upon very close inspection under the black o ring seal i found a divet with two cracks or splits in it(center section) took pics and notified company via email...................... no response. what a joke

·
Registered
156 Posts
how much does a rebuild kit from them run?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Wow, I thought I had bad luck only getting 430 miles on mine before it exploded... Yours didn't even make it out of the driveway!

A rebuild kit sounds like a real bad idea, unless you know of a place that can balance the unit afterwards. Although they probably aren't balanced anyway, my new Turbonetics (same journal bearing type) spins twice as long after shutdown compared to the on3 unit. (when it was new of course)

When dealing with China products you are going to have a big failure rate. The USA guys selling the products won't send pallet loads back to China. Option 1, they figure the failure % in the price and eat it. Option 2, they sell as much as they can and stiff the end user and hide behind a LLC as long as they can. Or option on3, figure it in the price and stiff the end user :)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
^^^ You're right. They don't need as much oil. Journal bearings should not need restrictors. That's just another line to make it the customers fault and avoid a replacement. If a restrictor was required, don't you think it should be included or at the very least let you know ? I have never put put a restrictor on a journal bearing turbo.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts