Ford Mustang Forums banner

30341 - 30360 of 30485 Posts

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
So, this is a short video of my right rear tire on camper. Ticking time bomb. Tread separation in progress. Noticed a slight “hopping” at low speed, like a tire out of round on way to beach. Inspected tires at fuel stop and one wasn’t totally flat across part of its face. Decided it wasn’t bad enough to warrant a change in a parking lot so finished the 200 miles. Jacked it up today (still at beach) and spun. Oopsie.
Pulled out my milwaukee fuel impact and bottle jack and made short work. Tires were five years old in July, Maxxis (top tier) load range E with about 15k on them. Covered at home and parked on rock at home. They get moved and driven regularly. Never over 65mph, tpms on at all times, etc.

I’ll also note the hub on that wheel been running about 5 degrees warmer than others. Guessing it was hopping a bit. Tire psi and temp was same on all five or take.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
If anyone wants to see video of how bad it is, I’ll text it to you. It looks about like a wheel was bolted onto an axle with the wrong number of studs. Lol

·
Registered
35,679 Posts
Text me carnage!!!! Glad ya'll are safe.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
That could explain a strange handling feel.

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Me too, I like the old original cars a lot. I forget how it used to be 30-40+ years ago, when restored meant absolutely nothing could be non stock(aside from items like tires). That was hard to deal with people who tried to do that, given far better new parts choices. But they did it a lot for price value. Finally people got more reasonable about what is good long term, and still worth more.

Now most restored cars have lots of aftermarket parts, plus upgrades. I don't like seeing cars for sale called restored, but they have completely different drive trains, suspensions, interior, brakes etc. I called those modified, the word restored should be reserved for much close to stock level cars.

I like any tasteful modifications, which is a huge range based on a person's tastes. I like things to have some appearance that is like OEM, try to make things look like they belong that way, or could have come like that from the factory. Tasteful, subtle if possible, not gaudy and loud(look at me and all my wild color scheme parts).

View attachment 1065247 View attachment 1065248
We are definitely aligned. It needs to look like it was done at the factory. It is more of a challenge than just adding catalog parts. The good hot rodders made mods to a car that only a keen eye would spot. That's what I like.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I'd like to see the carnage also, but I need to reactivate my old phone. My new phone I've never been able to open any downloads. So much stuff to do, and it's my birthday, how old do you feel?

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Sent.

·
Registered
35,679 Posts
Happy Birthday Don!!! Which one?

My buddies John (Ferrari) and Brad (XKE) pulled John's 24' double axle enclosed trailer up to CT to pick up a load of vintage Brit car parts (mostly Jag) that Brad bought to start an online business. On the way back, one of the wheels/tires departed the trailer - seems Brad forgot to torque some lug nuts (oops). Within 5 miles, the overload on the one remaining tire overheated it destroying wheel, tire, hub/brakes/bearing and almost setting the trailer on fire. And they BARELY knew anything was going on inside the truck. Brad had to rent a Uhaul truck and offload everything while John limped the trailer and dropped it at a repair shop somewhere in northern VA. About $1200 worth of damage.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Thanks guys, I'm 57 now, it's time to retire now and have fun with cars etc. I stopped at Ted Russell yesterday after a dentist appointment.

I'm looking for an MKZ with the V6 AWD, and I've been learning about the weird(stupid) option and feature choices. I found two years ago that the V6 had a feature to reduce torque steer. Good sure, but it only came with a special Driver's Package. The stupid thing is it's relatively expense, that package includes an optional wheel(the one I do like), painted calipers and black grille, plus ... a black interior. I don't like the black interior, and hunting I saw that the package was scarce for 2017 and 2018.

A few months ago I found out they stopped that Driver's Package, and the torque steer feature is standard in 2019 and 20. Great, but they also did away with the one blue I liked, but kept the other/ugly blue. Yesterday they figured out that the one wheel I like isn't on 2020 cars, and really scarce in 2019. Plus they only found two V6 MKZ's in their 1400 dealer network, blah blah. I don't buy their information, it doesn't match what cars I've seen. So I'm hunting, and may have to find it and then go to them if I need them.

Reactions: Leadsled Coupe

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Happy Birthday Don!!! Which one?

My buddies John (Ferrari) and Brad (XKE) pulled John's 24' double axle enclosed trailer up to CT to pick up a load of vintage Brit car parts (mostly Jag) that Brad bought to start an online business. On the way back, one of the wheels/tires departed the trailer - seems Brad forgot to torque some lug nuts (oops). Within 5 miles, the overload on the one remaining tire overheated it destroying wheel, tire, hub/brakes/bearing and almost setting the trailer on fire. And they BARELY knew anything was going on inside the truck. Brad had to rent a Uhaul truck and offload everything while John limped the trailer and dropped it at a repair shop somewhere in northern VA. About $1200 worth of damage.
Very common to happen. Wheel generally departs due to axle bearing letting loose. Melts and grinds it way till wheel goes or they actually weld the bearing to the spindle. If he lost the second in only five miles then other tire/wheel was likely gone way before that. The bearings don’t generally let go unless lack of maintenance. At least that’s the way it is on campers.

Assuming tires were all
I’m decent shape of course. Did he find the wayward wheel?

·
Registered
35,679 Posts
Never found wayward wheel. Brad fired as lugnut torquer. Wheel was behind them and they were in a snow storm. No going back to look. Tires in great shape - when you haul Ferraris around, you take care of the trailer. When we went out to pick up the Toyota, every fuel stop (3-4 hours) John would check wheel/tire temps with IR and throw torque wrench on trailer wheels, open trailer and check straps. Just part of safely towing. Now he wants electronics that tell him what’s going on. Tire pressure/temp monitors w/alarms would’ve let him know he had a problem.

·
Registered
35,679 Posts
Got the bit that bolts to the shock ears welded up - happy with strength and fit.

The bit that will support the joint will look like this, eventually welded on the end, with a little gusset over the top and bottom to 'box' that bit for more strength.

·
Registered
35,679 Posts
Used an old adjustable rake handle to get an idea of how it's going to sit. Sorry about the focus on the second one....

·
Registered
12,630 Posts

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
It’s a bug in a google ad’s code.
Thanks, at first I wondered if it was my PC and not the site, then I noticed it's only on this one forum I visit.

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Never found wayward wheel. Brad fired as lugnut torquer. Wheel was behind them and they were in a snow storm. No going back to look. Tires in great shape - when you haul Ferraris around, you take care of the trailer. When we went out to pick up the Toyota, every fuel stop (3-4 hours) John would check wheel/tire temps with IR and throw torque wrench on trailer wheels, open trailer and check straps. Just part of safely towing. Now he wants electronics that tell him what’s going on. Tire pressure/temp monitors w/alarms would’ve let him know he had a problem.
The TPMS I use is TST 507. Mine mount on valve stem (needs steel valve stems) and have flow through capability (very important). Also comes standard with a repeater that extends the range long enough for any trailer. I mounted my repeater right in the battery box.

My hub temps (measured with IR gun) were running 5 degrees warmer on that axle (from bouncing i guess) and tire tread temp wasn't consistent going around it. The TPMS wasn't picking up a difference in temp or pressure, unfortunately.

Oh, and if you actually lose a wheel, the TPMS doesn't notify you. In fact, it has no idea. It sends a signal roughly every 5 minutes with updated temp/psi. If that tire disappears, it just retains the previous readings and waits for a new signal. It will eventually give you a "lost signal" alert but I think that's after about 30 minutes or so. Your clue would be that tire isn't keeping pace with the others as far as temps and such go.

My old TPMS (same brand) didn't have the repeater and as it aged I started getting signal drop notifications. I had already figured out things were funky because readings weren't changing at all.

FYI, tire pressure on mine goes up roughly 10% from cold start till fully heated up. Amazing the amount of friction they have on them. Temps roughly the same. This has held true for d rated at 65psi, and e rated at 80psi. They say any more than 15% give or take can be an issue with under inflated or not enough tire for the load.

There are exceptions, of course. Altitude has some slight affect, and cold morning temps turning to hot afternoon (desert for instance) affects those readings more readily.

What I'm trying to say is that the tpms may or may not have signaled he had trouble coming. Sometimes, stuff happens. LOL

30341 - 30360 of 30485 Posts