Ford Mustang Forums banner

29161 - 29180 of 30394 Posts

·
Registered
35,654 Posts
Nice score there Robert!

My wife and I can get a little worked up talking about how we're gonna manage water at the house we build. Living in Houston for 15 years will do that to you. She's definitely a top-of-the-hill kind of girl. Which solves all sorts of problems. Particularly if you're willing to put the house 3-4' up in the air and have the crawl space be level with (rather than lower than) the grade surrounding the house. No trees within 50'. No vegetation within 8-10'. Just gravel in a 10' perimeter around the home graded so that everything moves away from the house. Ah -- gettin' a little worked up all by myself now....

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
If you dig into a French drain or put one in, don't forget to coat the foundation with a water barrier of some kind. The system is intended to keep water away from the foundation, but any water likes to go through cinder block if it reaches it. My house I believe the owner put in, and without any barrier, and the hoses just buried in dirt(no gravel or cloth), there's always water in the crawl space. I cleaned out the moat underneath, and installed a new sump pump, but keeping the water out is the best solution.

·
Registered
12,613 Posts
Yep. My plan is to find the end of the drain and not touch the footer drains by the house. They were all done correctly, coated and lots of gravel.

Water management is often not thought about very much when a home is built,unfortunately.

·
Registered
35,654 Posts
Yup - because the builder/prev owner rarely has to deal with the consequences.

Reactions: 93Cobra#2771

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
I have dynonax in back with my TA/PHB and if memory serves me Bob, you are the one who suggested it for me. Indeed it fit FAR better than whatever I had before which was a ProBleM with the new rear suspension.

That suspension upgrade is still one of the best mods to the Coupe! Awesome. Almost drove her today to work but chickened out due to possible black ice.... we are flirting with temps at and just below freezing with many areas draining water into the roads still.

Grand Cherokee got the nod today.

·
Registered
35,654 Posts
On the hemi-powered cars there's a little emblem in the grill....

Got my decal buddy working on an adhesive overlay....colors match the wheel caps.

·
Registered
35,654 Posts
The Corolla and my buddy John's Volvo 850 T5R got a little lens time at Cars&Coffee in Corcord at the racetrack this morning. Around 3:10....

·
Registered
12,613 Posts
Excellent.

·
Registered
12,613 Posts
Never would have thought about piano wire. That might be a winner if all else fails.

Reactions: Leadsled Coupe

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Michael and Richard you guys were right. Belts WERE in the length I needed. I listened to an idiot and mirrored his ignorance. Just bought two belts to try out and keep the best one.

Reactions: Michael Yount

·
Registered
35,654 Posts
Familiarity breeds speed. Quick to get things back apart. This little guy had to come out to release the last lever allowing removal of the cable slide mechanism from the dash - necessary to clean/lube/mod the wires/housings. 30 minutes to remove him (controls half out and half behind the dash - and he was behind the dash), and 30 minutes to put it back in. An hour. On this one clip. Lots of deep breaths. Maybe a curse word.

On phone with Richard yesterday troubleshooting his Geo lights -- he gave me an idea. Cut the sheaths off 2 butt connectors. Slipped them over the wire and used heat shrink to connect them to the end of the housing -- effectively lengthening the housing and shortening the travel. The long "push" against the heater control valve is what kept bending the wire. That and lots of resistance - old, dirty, cruddy wire/housing. Removed control housing, cleaned/straightened wire/lubed. Put her back together. Works like buttah. And much limited travel on the heater control valve -- only need to open it a little to get tons o' heat.

·
Registered
12,613 Posts
Chris - no need to beat yourself up over that. Just have to remember the mentality behind the counter. Most of those guys at the chain stores have difficulty with anything custom. They only know what the computer tells them. I found that once you find a good counter man, stick with that parts store. A good clue for good counter guys - there will be a shelf behind them with several dozen BIG parts books. If they have paper books, they know how to use them generally.

Michael - WOOT! that is all kinds of awesome right there. Thirty years from now, when someone opens the heater controls back up to lube the cable, they're going to be "what the heck is going on here?" LOL

Also appreciate the troubleshooting help on the Geo headlights. New alternator on order, most likely voltage regulator. It's got 193k miles on it, I imagine it's ready for a replacement.

Here's the cliff notes of the headlight issue on the Geo for anyone who is interested:
Pass headlight has been dim for a long time, had something like 8-9 volts going to it. No biggie. However, I lost low beam on drivers headlight. So now, a big deal. Pass headlight is now the brightest, and drivers is on looking like a 5w utility light.

Start checking voltage with headlights off (it has the old sealed beam rectangle headlights, non replaceable bulbs. Those headlights have three prongs on back that harness plugs in to. Voltage with car off and headlights off is 12v to all three prongs. Not a typo. All three prongs are hot. Until you turn on headlights, then voltage changes. Here's some voltage samples with lights on:
Passenger headlight
top left prong = .54v
top right = 6.36v
bottom = 9.61

Driver
Top left = .42v
Top right = 13.29
Bottom = 9.9

Lots of head scratching, plus a couple texts/calls to Micheal. Making no sense.

Hit the geo forum, come to find out when the lights are turned on, the circuit is wired in such a way that it sends a ground signal to the headlight, not a hot signal. So, they are factory wired diff than most. Ok, so now we know why the weird readings.

Next trick, why the dim light? More diving into the geo forum. Find guy with same issue. He back traced the main harness in the engine compartment and found a factory wire splice that had gone bad. Sure enough, that's the ground for the headlights (oh, and each headlight has it's own circuit and on fuse). Found the connection basically powdered and falling apart in same spot as the forum guy did. The factory splice was ground coming from switch, and then splice to LH and RH ground for each headlight.

Repaired wire. Woohoo! I now have full voltage to pass light. But now driver headlight isn't working on low at all. What the? Swap headlight from pass to driver and it fires off fine. So, that means low beam on drivers side is gone. Good deal, $10 fix.

So tied up in reading voltage differences at battery, didn't catch this at all. Mentioned to Michael I had .25 volt loss from battery to headlight when running. Battery showing 16v. Michael mentioned that voltage is way too high. I knew that too, but had basically just totally forgotten to make note in it as I was checking volts on prongs and all that stuff. apparently went brain dead.

Confirmed the voltage again yesterday, looks like internal voltage regulator is bad. Which likely blew the low beam on driver's headlight. The dim glow was back fed voltage barely glowing the high beam.

So, ordered a new alternator.

Drove the Sonata to work most of last week and probably will be most of this week too. Hope I'm not getting too spoiled on it. LOL

On the bright (pun intended) side, I'm only losing .25v from the batt voltage to the headlight feeds. So that means I would have very little improvement to do the headlight rewire for relays and such. Once I get new alternator installed, then I'll check all voltages and drops at headlight again and verify my drops.

So, I guess not cliff notes, but that's the "rest of the story". :-D

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Wow long story but a good one. Who’d have thought the lights were hot all the time and a ground being sent into was of power? Wild. Old school I assume maybe? Thanks for the points Richard. Generally I like my local OReillys but you sure are right.... it’s the counter person not the store that is the jewel. Their stock sure has done well overall. Yikes wish I’d stayed in that years ago.

My old serpentine belt must have been actually slipping as my voltage last week was sometimes 14.5 ish sometimes 13. I could watch the gauge typically high but dropping down to the low value for a few seconds in unpredictable timing not related to rpm. Well the new belt sure seems to have fixed that. 30 min of driving to work today and steady voltage:)

I look forward to my second full gas tank fill up to see if mpg has improved consistently. Then what oil consumption does !

Reactions: 93Cobra#2771

·
Registered
35,654 Posts
Read last night where the Boy Scouts have filed for bankruptcy over $$ associated with sexual abuse lawsuits. How long til we read this....

This just in from the AP -- "Pope Announces Catholic Church to Acquire Boy Scouts of America During Re-org"; Pope - "We are excited about this opportunity to shape young lives. Our Priests are positioned quite nicely to leverage the Scouts' assets."

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Lol! Sad but true. I am an old Eagle Scout. When BSA started letting in gay men as scout leaders I shed a tear or too. I was hoping my boy would become an Eagle also and I’d hand him MY Eagle Award and I’d become his. When they did this I decided he’d never join BSA. Thankfully Christian national leadership left BSA and started up Trail Life. It’s bylaws are far more Christ focused than BSA ever was 40 yrs ago in my Troop and by how they are set up what happened there in BSA can’t happen at TL. My local BSA troop says the sad state of affairs hasn’t happened yet here but to no matter, it CAN and eventually will. Now it’s just Scouts as they will allow boys girls anything with no restrictions. Sounds like a dangerous mix to me or would have been when I was that age.

My boy and I joined TL here in town soon after they started.

BSA became a disaster.

·
Registered
35,654 Posts
Made me chuckle - the local Girl Scout campground was adjacent to the Boy Scout campground - we spent many evenings sneaking over to the “other side”....where there’s a will...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Made me chuckle - the local Girl Scout campground was adjacent to the Boy Scout campground - we spent many evenings sneaking over to the “other side”....where there’s a will...
This /\
Except I broke their "sun tea" jar with a rock one summer week. My punishment was to spend the rest of the week with them, working off my debt. BEST SUMMER EVAR!

29161 - 29180 of 30394 Posts