Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No matter what I do to this crap a$$ on3 kit the boost just keeps creeping. I even bought a new larger 45mm turbosmart wastegate. The placement of the wastegate is just piss poor. Has anyone relocated their wastegate and where did you place. I have a boost controller and all that jazz.

Sorry for venting....... just sick and tired of all the problems with this kit. I have spent so much money on having to modify the entire kit just about.

Oh and if you have relocated the gate please post a pic if you got one.

Thanks

Paul

·
Authorized corral.net Advertiser
2,829 Posts
I can completely understand your frustration but you should not have that issue. Its directly below where both banks flow into the turbocharger. It would be hard to place it in a different location which would help your situation.

email me and Im sure we can resolve the issue with you if you wanted to keep it cool

·
Registered
372 Posts
Also, make sure the mounting flange is true. The inner pipe was sticking out past the flange on mine causing boost issues. Mine also hit the vband for the crossover....but what everyone else said, make sure its hooked up right

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
372 Posts
Chad, did you change the crossover? I thought I saw a pic somewhere and they had a one piece crossover

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So my boost source is coming directly after the turbo on the cold pipe. I drilled and tapped a fitting to supply the boost source. It is completely sealed up. So I have the vac line ran from that fitting into the turbosmart manual boost controller then from there it goes into the bottom port on the wastegate. The top port is open to the atmosphere. I took it up to my local speed shop for them to look at it..... which I am going to have to pay them to fix this also..... and they said the angle in which the gate inlet tube should never be pointing backwards. Doesnt flow enough into the gate.

·
Authorized corral.net Advertiser
2,829 Posts
Before you take it to the shop and if you still have that other wastegate, you should call me before doing so. I can certainly solve this pretty easily for you I believe

·
This space for rent
6,727 Posts
Back from the dead but I'm wanting to buy one of these kits but I recall a buddy having the same issue. No matter what we did, even using a new Tial WG, it still would creep until it maxed out the turbo.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this thread is older but to anyone who is considering this kit or still having trouble I wanted to share my experience. I was having boost creep issues with this 94-95 kit because wastegate placement is terrible. The exhaust from both banks is flowing up into the turbo and for the wastegate to bleed off exhaust, the flow is having to almost do a 180 turn to flow back out the wastegate. It simply cannot bleed off enough exhaust as the RPM of the engine increases. We tired everything imaginable while the car was on the dyno to remedy the problem, even talked to On3 during the dyno runs. The only solution to this problem was to install a second gate in the crossover pipe right before the turbo. After I installed a second 38mm wastegate the boost is on point. Running a 6 lb spring in both gates the turbo spools almost instantly to 6 lbs and holds perfect all the way to redline, no creep at all. On3 should consider a redesign with wastegate placement in the crossover pipe like the foxbody kit.

·
This space for rent
6,727 Posts
I know this thread is older but to anyone who is considering this kit or still having trouble I wanted to share my experience. I was having boost creep issues with this 94-95 kit because wastegate placement is terrible. The exhaust from both banks is flowing up into the turbo and for the wastegate to bleed off exhaust, the flow is having to almost do a 180 turn to flow back out the wastegate. It simply cannot bleed off enough exhaust as the RPM of the engine increases. We tired everything imaginable while the car was on the dyno to remedy the problem, even talked to On3 during the dyno runs. The only solution to this problem was to install a second gate in the crossover pipe right before the turbo. After I installed a second 38mm wastegate the boost is on point. Running a 6 lb spring in both gates the turbo spools almost instantly to 6 lbs and holds perfect all the way to redline, no creep at all. On3 should consider a redesign with wastegate placement in the crossover pipe like the foxbody kit.
Thanks for that insight! We knew it was something to do with WG placement, just didn't come up with a solution.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts