Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of how low you could go with a manual trans on a street ridden 6 cyl. I had 4.30s in my 5 speed Mach and it was great.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow! This section needs CPR and a defibrilator!

I'm a few months from a new car but I may just buy those 4.30s and stash them under the bed in preperation for my 2012.

My wifes 06 V6 has a 8.8 with 4.10s and a 5A trans and feels like a GT if you lock out the OD and leaved it in d3. I'm pretty sure the 305 HP and nearly zero torque at low RPMs will really exploit the 4.30s. No opinions???

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Wow! This section needs CPR and a defibrilator!

I'm a few months from a new car but I may just buy those 4.30s and stash them under the bed in preperation for my 2012.

My wifes 06 V6 has a 8.8 with 4.10s and a 5A trans and feels like a GT if you lock out the OD and leaved it in d3. I'm pretty sure the 305 HP and nearly zero torque at low RPMs will really exploit the 4.30s. No opinions???
I wouldnt give up the gas mileage , with the transmissions in the newer cars I doubt it will provide the gain you are looking for

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is really a dog with the 3.31s and a manual trans. Still up in the air about it. Not really worried about MPG, my Mach could still pull 25 MPG on long highway rides. I am more interested in how it pulls in auto-x. I have a JK Jeep with 4.88s and MPG is about the same as stock, (terrible!) but it now moves out of its own way with some snap.

I see it as a "real" Mustang GT now that the GTs are over $30k msrp. Hard to pick, a new modded V6 with the tighter chassie or a low mile Mach 1 with its creaky 1979 architechture. Our 06 V6 is still a tighter car after 100,000 miles than my Mach was brand new, LOL!

ps, I'm glad I'm not the only one in here!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem solved!

Found a 03 Mach with 6k miles on it at a crazy good price on a VW dealers lot! I'd still love to drive a new V6 with 4.30s but it'll have to wait!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thread revival!

My Mach got 4.56s last month and its awesome. My son just bought a 12 V6 with manual trans and no perf pack so its got the 2.73??? or 93 whatever stupid tall gears. Definetly not the 3.31s. Anyone know what the ratios are in the trans or have a gear calculator for these new 6 speeds?

Second question, I see different part numbers for rear gears for V6 and V8 8.8 rears. Whats the difference? I have my 3.55s that might be enough gear on these cars but don't know if the usual 8.8 stuff will fit.

Thanks for any info! Jim.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found what I was looking for, not 100% sure the V6 and GT share ratios in the trans but it was listed as all Mustangs for 2012

1st 4.23
2nd 2.53
3rd 1.66
4th 1.23
5th 1.00
6th .70

the gear calculator I used was;

Speed/RPM Calculator

It has a 6th gear option and any tire size too. Looks like anything from 3.55 to 4.30 would be fine for our needs!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I loved 4.30s in my Mach also. That is the all-around gear for stock Mach 1s, and it makes the 1/4 a true natural 4-gear affair.

I suspect 4.30s in a 2012 V6 would be like 5.13s in an old 4-speed car. That 4+ 1st would make things happen very quickly even with our little 227 that wants to rev to the moon. 4.10s tempt me, but 3.73 might be the answer.

I do find the 1-2 shift takes place waaay down track, with my factory 3.31s !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts