Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1979 Mustang Coupe

2005 LQ9 6.0 (EFI running truck intake, stock other then Dynatech 1 7/8 headers w/race mufflers) bolted to a built TH350 with 3800 10inch converter going through a fully welded 8.8 w/33 spline Moser axles, 3.73:1 gears and Moser steel spool.

Car also has:
10 Point Roll Cage
Aerospace Component Brakes (Heavy Duty Kit Front/Rear)
RCI 10 Gal Aluminum Fuel Cell
Warlboro External 255lph pump/C5 Filter-Regulator
Chrome Moly A Arms
Front/Rear Coil Over Kit
Billet Caster Camber Plates
Extreme Series Upper Control Arms
Pro Series Chrome Moly Adjustable Lower Control Arms
Anthony Jones Tubular Front K-Member
5" Extended Lift Off Fiberglass Racing Hood
Fiberglass Trunk Lid
Corbeau Clubman Race Seats
12 Circuit Universal Wiring Harness (No factory wiring)
Weld Pro Star 15" x 3-1/2"
Weld Pro Star 15" x 10"
Mickey Thompson ET Street Drag Tire 28 x 11.5 - 15 LT

Car should be super light, interior is basically stripped, has a 93 dash that is hollow (just there for looks), has carpet but no pad, 2 racing seats, the cage and a steering wheel.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats pretty quick for bone stock Escalade motor. My plan is obviously to build it up quite a bit from stock, but I want to get it rolling in stock form before I throw a bunch of parts at it. If it goes 11's on motor I might be tempted to just spray it for a while.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Is that your car? Call me this evening and ill see if I cant help you out. With a bone stock lq4 in my 86 coupe that weighs 3000lb with me in it went [email protected] with a 1.70 60ft in 4000ft da. It will go 11.9 in good air/better 60ft.

All mine has is longtubes/cai/and a good tune. also th350 with 3200 converter and 8.8 with 3.73's

You can see my build over at ls1tech.com under the crossbreed/mix section there username is orangenotch there.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really have no idea what it'll weigh. I figure with it being a coupe, glass hood/trunk, very limited interior, very light seats, fuel cell, tubular everything, lightweight brakes, etc. that it shouldn't weigh much.

I talked to another guy with a coupe that is similarly equipped and he weighed just over 2500lbs.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is that your car? Call me this evening and ill see if I cant help you out. With a bone stock lq4 in my 86 coupe that weighs 3000lb with me in it went [email protected] with a 1.70 60ft in 4000ft da. It will go 11.9 in good air/better 60ft.

All mine has is longtubes/cai/and a good tune. also th350 with 3200 converter and 8.8 with 3.73's

You can see my build over at ls1tech.com under the crossbreed/mix section there username is orangenotch there.
I checked out your build, our cars are going to be VERY similar. I have quite a few questions to ask so I'll start making a list so I don't babble on and on!

·
Registered
962 Posts
I sent you a pm back. You'll be happy with it. Plenty of growing room/potential and will drive like stock. Im happy with mine.

·
Registered
404 Posts
i put a bone stock 100k lq4 in my coupe a few weeks ago and have been testing it....you'll be suprised how fast they are stock...

·
Registered
34 Posts
i put a bone stock 100k lq4 in my coupe a few weeks ago and have been testing it....you'll be suprised how fast they are stock...
Wow... That's pretty amazing. You took a stock 300 HP <(when it was new)> truck motor, put a cam in it, and got over 600 HP out of it with only a cam change... That's gotta be some kind of world record cam shaft swap. What cam did you use? I have a LQ4 with 77K mile on it and I want to duplicate those results. I even have another Mustang to put it in.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Wow... That's pretty amazing. You took a stock 300 HP <(when it was new)> truck motor, put a cam in it, and got over 600 HP out of it with only a cam change... That's gotta be some kind of world record cam shaft swap. What cam did you use? I have a LQ4 with 77K mile on it and I want to duplicate those results. I even have another Mustang to put it in.
it does'nt have 600 hp...but its in a fairly light coupe that has a good suspension...these motors make alot of torque dont hurt either...the motor in it now has a stock zo6 cam and has ran 6.50's at 103 and the other one had a polluter in it and ran 9.80's in the qtr in warm weather...

·
Registered
34 Posts
it does'nt have 600 hp...but its in a fairly light coupe that has a good suspension...these motors make alot of torque dont hurt either...the motor in it now has a stock zo6 cam and has ran 6.50's at 103 and the other one had a polluter in it and ran 9.80's in the qtr in warm weather...
Oh... Well I was just going by your signature stats. And trust me when I say this, I'm very much aware of what the LS series engines can do, since I build them for a living. That and build race cars too. I've also owned 5 fox body mustangs and have two right now... One with a LS engine in it.

Calculating HP from ET and MPH is pretty much cut and dry. And your car running a 9.81 at almost 135 MPH puts you very close to 600 HP... Based on a "Race weight" of 2800 lbs. I have a coupe and that's about what it weighs sitting at the starting line with me in it... I weigh 190 lbs.
And my LS powered Coupe, with 650-ish HP runs a 9.91 @ 139 MPH.... Which is slower ET wise but faster MPH wise than your totally stock cam only 300 HP <(originally)> LQ4 engine... So either your car is super, super light and has a 1.20-ish 60 foot time, or you have a almost 300 HP cam improvement... And with a stock C/R of 9.4:1, I don't see a very large cam and that C/R working well together... So please tell me what I'm missing because something just doesn't add up.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
What I would also like to see explained is he takes a 6.0 low compression low performance motor that has around 360 cubic inches, adds a Z06 cam, and ends up with way more power than the actual 500 hp Z06 LS7 motor?

For those of you who may not know. The LS7 isn't no joke of a factory motor. It has lightweight pistons, titanium rods, lightweight crank, WAY better flowing heads heads and intake than a 6.0, more compression....as well as around 70 more cubic inches. But somehow, v62go can manage to get more out of a inferior 6.0 truck motor (with a Z06 cam) than even the actual Z06 LS7 has.

I'm with LS Coupe, I think a thorough explanation is an order here.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm willing to bet that v62go car may put 380 to the wheels on a good day with the ls6 cam in it and all bolt ons he has. With the polluter I could see 420 or so to the wheels.

Now add a stall, gears, and good suspension and tires you have yourself a runner.

Let's do it this way:
2001 z28 with bone stock lq4 will run around 8.4s in the 1/8 @ 3600lbs

Subtract 800lbs for the stock lq4 motor going into the coupe weighing 2800.

Using the 100lbs = 1/10th rule. -800lbs will net a 7.6 theoretically in a 2800lb coupe.

Add a stall which usually drops .4 to .5 sec off et on a stock z28. So a stalled stock lq4 in a coupe should run around 7.3 there abouts.

Add an ls6 cam which is usually 15-25 rwhp gain you subtract 2 tenths off et. So 7.1 theoretically.

Add all bolt ons, which should be around 30rwhp So another 2 tenths = 6.9.

Then add heads and suspension and just a car that works. I don't think it's to far fetched to say that a 6.5 na with all bolt ons, and a decent set of heads and cam that work together won't happen.

Bone stock lq4 and I mean actual stock would prob put down 290rwhp in a stang. Add the real world rwhp numbers that I've seen his particular parts put down I'm bout right on with the 380 rwhp number.

I've also seen a stock stalled z28 run 7.8's all day long and 12.2's in the 1/4. That's an ls1 5.7 not a 6.0 also.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Then add heads and suspension and just a car that works. I don't think it's to far fetched to say that a 6.5 na with all bolt ons, and a decent set of heads and cam that work together won't happen.
Yes, but....he didn't say anything about heads or bolt ons. He wants people to believe that he took a bone stock motor from a truck, added a Z06 cam, and now runs high 9s in the 1/4. As mentioned before, this truck motor made barely over 300 hp stock. So, what we want to know is how he added a Z06 cam to an otherwise bone stock motor and netted a 200+ hp gain. According to this theory, his stock truck motor with a Z06 cam makes way more power than an the actual Z06 motor does with a Z06 cam.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts