Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im starting to plan my turbo build, and unfortunately I'm still going to have to pass emissions. The car is OBD I so it will be going on the dyno. I know of a person who passed the sniffer test, but the inspector failed him because he didnt have cats on the car.

Anyways, anybody still running cats after installing a turbo setup? my car is a foxbody but any pics of your setup would be helpful regardless of what model stang its on. thanks:salute:

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
i had a hellion kit and took it up to the inspections place with the straight pipe on it. they failed me on the visual test and told me to buy a cat to go on it. then i paid over $100 for one from hellion and put it on. then i took it back up there and they were still hassling me because they told me i was supposed to have some kind of carb sticker thats supposed to come in the box with the cat. i told him the cat never came with any kind of carb sticker and finally after going back and forth about it he let me pass. but he wasnt too happy about it. as soon as i got home i took the cat back off. those inspections are pretty pointless if you ask me. the car didnt seem like it made near as much power with the cat on it and was way too quiet

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha yea i know, the inspections are pointless. my buddy did the same thing when they failed him for visually no cats, swapped them on, then took them right off afterwards. guess i'll just do the same. its a pita but thats the system.

were you running 1 or 2 cats for inspection? im sure some inspectors would check to see if there is 2, others might just look to see if there was at least 1. i was thinking i would just clamp 1 on in the y-pipe and then take it off after inspection, especially if there is a noticeable difference in power.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I run a single 3" cat with my set up. It has a very noticeable drop in power with the cat on it. Turbo is slower to spool due to the increase in backpressure. I have not had any issues so far with just the single cat and emissions testing. I have OBDII testing for my 96 and have yet to be hassled for the visual test.

·
Registered
299 Posts
When I was a teenager and couldn't afford a new h-pipe and cat back for my first mustang. I simple cut the converter out, hollowed it out and welded it back in. That would give the visual look and would make the inspectors happy, and will not rob your power either.

So buy a what ever cat size you want, get that emissions sticker and hollow that bitch out.:)

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
I run a smog pump and Catco H-pipe (two cats) on my Notch. I pass MD emmissions on the rollers etc.
Erich

1 - 7 of 7 Posts