Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to have a huge Saleen/Racecraft rear swaybar but it broke at Willowsprings a while back. It sheared right where the flattened area turns round at the driverside LCA. Right now I have the Eibach kit front and rear. The rear is a twig so the car is understeery as hell.

I'd buy the Saleen again if I could but they haven't made them for years. Anyone have/seen a rear swaybar that is similar or just massively thick/strong?

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Not interested in a purpose built, adjustable piece, eh?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not the four point kind. I'm used to the neutral feel of a strong LCA mounted bar.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You realize that roll stiffness is roll stiffness, right?

DaveW
Right, but I just don't want to complicate it for the sake of adjustability.

The Saleen was a solid piece. I can imagine the SN95 would be less resistant to torque since it's hollow? Has anyone tried a SN95 rear bar? How about a SummitRacing bar?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had that bar on my other tbird, and ended up taking it off since it was too stiff for my driving style. So far both of my birds have liked having no rear bar at all, but all I do is autox so I don't know if it would act the same on an open track day.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The hollow SN95 Cobra bars broke easily. The Ford Cobra replacement bar is solid.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I've tried the hollow cobra bar on my car. However, with my jacked up anti-squat due to the short torque arm, the car is better off without a bar for now. I am aware that they have a reputation for breaking but I got it for free as part of a deal when I got my '98 cobra brakes front and rear so *shrug*.

·
Registered
985 Posts
The hollow SN95 Cobra bars broke easily. The Ford Cobra replacement bar is solid.
IIRC, they went from a 27 mm hollow to 24 mm solid ... I can verify that at work tomorrow. Was thinking of trying one on my 89.

cheers
Ed N.

·
Registered
985 Posts
The Ford service part for the late solid axle Cobra is 25 mm ... F7ZZ 5A772 AA. Not sure what sort of bucks they go for compared to an aftermarket piece.

cheers
Ed N.

·
Registered
695 Posts

·
US Army Active Duty
2,433 Posts
I swear my old one was a 27mm solid.. I do know I never broke it LOL. Got it from Mustangs Unlimited in like 1999, traded it off, and it's coming back on another trade..

I'm running an EvM adjustable now, if you can find one, jump on it. It bolts to the LCA's and has a removable straight lateral bar, and no frame mounts. I have an option of small or large bar, and 3 sets of bolt holes on the mounts. I normally run it with the big bar in the middle hole, any stiffer and the rear jumps around on rough roads from lack of independent travel LOL. The current position is enough to make the car on the oversteer side of neutral with an Eibach front bar.

Here's a crappy pic... yeah the wrong bolt is on the chassis side of the Panhard rod in this pic, that has been corrected..

·
Registered
172 Posts
I ran a SN95 hollow bar on my fox with no issues on a bumpy road course, bolts right in. The bar is significantly stiffer than a fox rear bar, it's over 50% stiffer if I recall correctly. I also believe the SN95 GT and SN95 V6 bars are the same, making them an easy find.

·
US Army Active Duty
2,433 Posts
There are six or seven different size rear bars from different year/trim level SN95's. Some V-6's after 99 didn't have one at all.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't think I mentioned it, but its in my sig, I have an adjustable MM LCA. You know, the one that puts the swaybar at an odd angle lower to the ground. That's not why the Saleen bar broke, I had a Hotchkis LCA during that run.

I have to double check but that one (EvM adjustable) in SVTCobra347 pic does look like it would be no fuss and adjustable.

What do you opentrack guys that have the same MM adjustable LCAs run?

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
I don't open track my car but I do autocross it and run both the MM adjustable LCAs and the MM adjustable sta-bar. Honestly, once the sta-bar is in, adjusting it is a piece of cake, maybe marginally more complicated than the EvM version.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts