Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
This damn thing sounds pretty cool.

http://www.maftpro.com/index.shtml

The pro version eliminates the maf by switching to speed density. I thought speed density was "2nd rate" or is it?
It gives you limited tuning capabilities at best. Considering your timing table is tied into the load table, unless you lock your timing…I would assume it’s going to throw everything out of wack. They may work great for gm vehicles (I have no idea), but I don’t think I’d trust it.

As for speed density, it’s actually superior for blow thru turbo setups…as it is using manifold pressure rather than a maf voltage. It does have it’s limitations however….as it’s far less forgiving on combo changes, requiring more tuning to get the setup right. Considering many of us tune ourselves….it’s not so much of an issue. Most stand-alones operate using a map sensor (some give you the option to use either/or).

·
Registered
12,251 Posts
ive never heard of anyone using a translator on a domestic. I know if lot od DSM guys use them wth GM 3" MAF's

·
Registered
542 Posts
ive never heard of anyone using a translator on a domestic. I know if lot od DSM guys use them wth GM 3" MAF's
i used that exact one when i hd my 96 eclipse gs-t worked great never had a problem with it, and while i worked at mitsubishi i saw alot of the 4g63t powerd mitsubishis with them

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
After doing some quick reading on the subject, it appears that you are going need the gm 3-bar map sensor ($75), air temp sensor ($17) as well as the speed density harness ($40). This is on top of the $399 price tag mind you for the maft-pro itself. For that type of cash (~$531), you could get yourself into a tweecer RT (~$550) or a MSII ($247) + the eec-iv adaptor board (not required $67) + the relay cable ($70) for a total of $384 and have quite a bit more tuning options . Keep in mind, all three will require a wideband to tune ($229 including gauge)….but you can quickly recoupe ~ $100 with the megasquirt by selling the stock computer.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
You only need the 3 bar map if you are boosting past 14psi. A 2 bar map will work fine and comes on a gazillion GM vehicles. The AIT sensor is a dime a dozen as well. You do need the SD harness. Maf-T Pro w/ Harness $450, LC-1 $120. Total is $670.

Don't forget to mention I have to build that MSII for the $250 price. I won't so it cost $399 as well. Plus the adapter $70 OR you can save that and rewire the stock harness....fun times! :shakehead.

To go MSII I need to rewire my gauges, build the unit(s) or buy assembled and then spend time trying to get everything right and building a fuel table just to idle and then spend forever trying to get the damn thing to run right OR pay someone another $300+ to tune it for me.

If your gonna compare prices compare all of them. Many have MS'd their cars for cheap and easy, but it isn't for me. For ME Maf-T Pro seems way easier and I can be up and running in no time. No gauge rewiring, no building of electronics, no major wiring, no fuel/timing tables to build.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
You only need the 3 bar map if you are boosting past 14psi. A 2 bar map will work fine and comes on a gazillion GM vehicles. The AIT sensor is a dime a dozen as well. You do need the SD harness $40. Maf-t Pro w/ Harness $450, LC-1 $120. Total is $670.

Don't forget to mention I have to build that MSII for the $250 price. I won't so it cost $399 as well. Plus the adapter $70 OR you can save that and rewire the stock harness....fun times! :shakehead.

To go MSII I need to rewire my gauges, build the unit(s) or buy assembled and then spend time trying to get everything right and building a fuel table just to idle and then spend forever trying to get the damn thing to run right OR pay someone another $300+ to tune it for me.

If your gonna compare prices compare all of them. Many have MS'd their cars for cheap and easy, but it isn't for me.

For ME Maf-T Pro seems way easier and I can be up and running in no time.

The lc1 is $199 (including sensor).

As for the MSII, soldering the board up is the only way to go. There are many add-on features that costs pennies to make….but are not included with the base kit (electric fan control, 2-step, boost control etc.). If you can follow directions, you can solder up your own board. Mine was my first attempt at component soldering….and I found it pleasantly fun (and easy).

I’ve mentioned this in your other thread, but your gauges have nothing to do with your stock computer. Using a megasquirt wont effect them at all. Megasquirt comes with a safe default fuel table. You can use the autotune function which will allow hands off auto-tuning of your VE table. After it’s close, a few runs of your datalogs through megalogviewers anaylsis function will have things running silky smooth. Again, you can find stock speed density spark tables floating around converted to megasquirt format which work quite well. They’ll need some minor tweaking for your setup….but again, it’s quite easy.

I will say however it’s not something you can do start to finish on a weekend…so I can fully understand where you’re coming from. Have you by chance looked into a tweecer yet?

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I can get the LC-1 for the low I manage a parts store we pay 6% above cost. The $120 is a ballpark I can go lower :king:.

Tell me more about the autotune...is it a "stock" feature?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts