Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had someone hack into my paypal account about two weeks ago and spend over 3k at a store called RCE Hobby based out of Singapore. After opening a claim with paypal they don't favor on my side. They say I made the transaction and that I'm liable for the purchase. I had my bank block the withdrawal and now my paypal account is negative 3k. I have since locked my paypal account out and don't plan to use them anymore. Which sucks because I've used them for years without any issues and now this prevents me from buying any used parts here since most of us use paypal. I feel I've been robbed and paypal turned their back on me. All they gave me was sorry. I plan to go talk to a lawyer about this in the next few days. Has anybody experienced anything like this before? I mean if I can't get anything done about this I might actually end up paying it because I can't afford for my credit to get screwed up. I'll be retireing from the Air Force before too long and have plans to buy a house. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place here. Any advice from anybody?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Is there anyway to login to paypal and check the login locations/ ip addresses that your account was accesssed from? More than likely someone that would hack a paypal account would be smart enough to hide behind a vpn or proxy, but it could be worth a shot. Hell even facebook google and yahoo allows you to see locations/ ip's you have logged in from.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
something doesnt add up here. WHERE did the goods or services end up? They can easily trace that. If the USPS, Fedex, etc shipped then there is tracking, logs, signatures ,etc.

Paypal also HAS to track IP's accessing when you sign on. That is basic stuff, especially when using a SSL or SFTP as paypal does.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
They say I made the transaction and that I'm liable for the purchase.
Where were items shipped? If the purchase was made from your IP, and went to your house, then paypal decided you ordered the crap.

Also, for transactions over $700 paypal requires the seller to send with signature confirmation, for seller to be covered by seller's protection.

I agree with mikestang, this doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where were items shipped? If the purchase was made from your IP, and went to your house, then paypal decided you ordered the crap.

Also, for transactions over $700 paypal requires the seller to send with signature confirmation, for seller to be covered by seller's protection.

I agree with mikestang, this doesn't make sense.
Yeah I don't know what is going on. It has my address as the shipping address, but no tracking information. So I'm waiting to see if I get something, I highly doubt it though. The reason Paypal said they denied my claim was because they couldn't find any evidence of a log on other than my usual location. Maybe they did it behind a proxy or something. I don't know much about that stuff. I'm not paying anything though. I'm going to the legal office here on my Air force base sometime next week. The people at paypal were kind of rude to me I felt, they just told me they were sorry and acted like they didn't even care. I personally don't think there was ever an investigation conducted.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
An IP can be faked, or you could have even been been malwared.

This is the trouble with letting someone like PayPal have access to your bank. Malware is a real problem, too.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Yeah I don't know what is going on. It has my address as the shipping address, but no tracking information. So I'm waiting to see if I get something, I highly doubt it though. The reason Paypal said they denied my claim was because they couldn't find any evidence of a log on other than my usual location. Maybe they did it behind a proxy or something. I don't know much about that stuff. I'm not paying anything though. I'm going to the legal office here on my Air force base sometime next week. The people at paypal were kind of rude to me I felt, they just told me they were sorry and acted like they didn't even care. I personally don't think there was ever an investigation conducted.
Even that doesn't make sense, because the package has to be delivered to you. Just having a tracking number isn't good enough. Maybe the reason the refused your claim is because you opened an unauthorized charge? ... and you can still open an item not received, or item not as described claim later on?

Good luck with it all.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I had a similar experience. The hacker bought a laptop from within the usa over a weekend with my account, and on Monday morning I was lucky enough to see what had happened. The laptop was already enroute over seas. I contacted paypal via email and they acted immediately. I watched the laptop (Via the tracking number I had) get shipped back to the vendor. I was refunfed my money in under 2 weeks. My experiences with paypal have been first rate always (And I have had issues with paypal vendors probably 4-5 times). I'm sorry your experiences are not the same as mine.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Even that doesn't make sense, because the package has to be delivered to you. Just having a tracking number isn't good enough. Maybe the reason the refused your claim is because you opened an unauthorized charge? ... and you can still open an item not received, or item not as described claim later on?

Good luck with it all.
Well, this was a option told to me by another paypal employee but when I called the next day one of their fraud office employees told me not to do that because it showed that I had admitted to buying the item. Which I didn't buy.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, guys the craziest thing happened a few hours ago. An employee of RCE hobby which is where my hacker spent my money, emailed me asking why did I send him over $3,000. So, at this point I called him in singapore since I had a phone number. He answered and spoke english enough to where I could understand him. Sounded like an old man. But, he told me that the payment came from me, but the hackers included a Indonesia address, which that never showed up on my paypal transaction. He told me paypal had held the funds for a few days and then released the funds to him, while I thought they were doing an investigation. Paypal locked my account out so he couldn't issue me a refund. So in about an hour I'm calling paypal to get my account unlocked so hopefully I can get this money back. As soon as my account is restored I'm closing my paypal account and will never use them again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts