Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on the brink of buying a TKO 600 to replace my now broken stock T5.

I'm aware of the bell housing, clutch, and drive shaft requirements.....is there any why I wouldn't want this tranny??

I'm replaceing a stock T5 that lasted for 12 years of hard racing. I'm expecting the TKO to be a once-and-done kinda thing....I hope I won't be disappointed.

Also...how will the 2.86 first gear effect my 60' time?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mines shifts great i have pro 5.0 shifter i had the pads come off shift forks once had that fixed never had another problem besides its a heavy sumbitch to lift, other than thats performs great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hRcx5fI34s
Whated your video....I'm sold...what was the 60' time???

What clutch and gear are you running? It launched hard, but didn't look violent.....

·
Registered
205 Posts
Whated your video....I'm sold...what was the 60' time???

What clutch and gear are you running? It launched hard, but didn't look violent.....
cuts 1.35 60ft on 28x10.5 et drag stiff sidewall.i run a 4 puck clutch unsprung hub with a 3200lbs pressure plate think its a competition clutch there here locally,dont let it scare you at first i seen the clutch and was like heck no but i drove the car around made about 15 to 20 motor passes and seem to break in well and worked out well for me. has a 373 gear think im gonna go to 355 up gas some. i need to tie the front down it help out with the wheelies.

oh and make sure what 5th gear you want mine is the .62 o/d and it sucked driving around back when i had 4:30's it was ok now with the taller gear i seem to ride around in 4th more

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cuts 1.35 60ft on 28x10.5 et drag stiff sidewall.i run a 4 puck clutch unsprung hub with a 3200lbs pressure plate think its a competition clutch there here locally,dont let it scare you at first i seen the clutch and was like heck no but i drove the car around made about 15 to 20 motor passes and seem to break in well and worked out well for me. has a 373 gear think im gonna go to 355 up gas some. i need to tie the front down it help out with the wheelies.

oh and make sure what 5th gear you want mine is the .62 o/d and it sucked driving around back when i had 4:30's it was ok now with the taller gear i seem to ride around in 4th more
Ya, I put in a Zoom Stage F3 last year....its a full ceramic 6 puck....pretty sure thats what did in the T5. I think I"m going to put in a full circle kevlar disc with the same pressure plate....try and soften it up at little for durablitity.

I ran the factry T5 for 12 years with out one issue...put the hard clutch in last year and it only made it one season.....oh well, part of the deal.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ya, I put in a Zoom Stage F3 last year....its a full ceramic 6 puck....pretty sure thats what did in the T5. I think I"m going to put in a full circle kevlar disc with the same pressure plate....try and soften it up at little for durablitity.

I ran the factry T5 for 12 years with out one issue...put the hard clutch in last year and it only made it one season.....oh well, part of the deal.
yea clutches are my biggest problem this last one i put in has lasted the longest. with my old 302's id leave at 5 and 6k and spraying it really put a strain on the clutch with the 28's but this company seem to stand behind what they sale and got me the right one i took them two attempts but backed up there product

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
You do hear about tko's shifting tough.Are the 600's tougher than 500's giving the same specs? clutch etc..
the tremec shifter that comes with it is a little rough but you can change that if you dont like. Yes the 600 is tougher than the 500. 600 and 500 Is the torque ratings

·
Registered
642 Posts
I couldn't shift my 600 into 3rd at anything over 6000rpm if my life depended on it, so I sent it out to Astro Performance for their Sure Shift upgrade. I should be getting it back next week but won't have it in for a couple weeks still. I'm trying to get it done for Joliet in July.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I had a Tremec 3550 in mine with a pro 5.0 shifter. I couldn't shift it with the short shifter. So, I modified it with a longer handle and was able to nail the shifts. My friend who had a TKO had the same problem, but cured it with the longer handle also.

I ran a Spec stg 3 clutch with mine. After 2 broken output shafts I changed to a C4. I'm sure the TKO output shaft upgrade would have probably cured the problem though.

Be careful with an agressive clutch.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Be careful with an agressive clutch.[/QUOTE said:
Ya, the agressive clutch is whats got me doing this anyways....ran a factory t5 for 12 years with not one issue. Changed the cluch last year and....well, it sounded like a blender with bolts in it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I couldn't shift my 600 into 3rd at anything over 6000rpm if my life depended on it, so I sent it out to Astro Performance for their Sure Shift upgrade. I should be getting it back next week but won't have it in for a couple weeks still. I'm trying to get it done for Joliet in July.
I'm having similar problems with mine too but I think its due to driver error and maybe the shifter as well. This might sound ignorant, but I notice that I need to really put force when going from 2nd to 3rd, and with a pro 5.0 shifter (that has pretty stiff springs and forces the shifter to be right underneath 3rd gear) I just need to push up and not so much as up and towards the right.

But besides the whole 2nd to 3rd bs, my tranny shifts like butter from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th. I can slam the gears waaaay better than my old ####ty T45 (which seemed to have a stop point inbetween each shift).

·
Premium Member
1,770 Posts
the tremec shifter that comes with it is a little rough but you can change that if you dont like. Yes the 600 is tougher than the 500. 600 and 500 Is the torque ratings
Can that be changed from inside the car? Or, do you have to drop the tranny to pull it out?

·
Registered
93 Posts
you don't have to drop the tranny to change the shifter, I removed the shifter when I was installing the trans to gain some more clearance. BTW I have the MGW shifter and it shifts better than the broken T5.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts